Thursday, October 11, 2018

10/11/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

This is a 3 in 1 report
This has been an unusual week so I'm sorry for reporting like this.

On Tue Oct 9th (in red) - After several checks during the day in the afternoon I found RK88 "Puna" in front of the Big Camp Site and RG40 "Holokai" to the Mokuleia side of our front.
On Wed Oct 10th (in white) - I found an overnighted R303 "BG" on D5m +50% in the afternoon I saw her entering the water
Down on Birth Beach / Table R330 "Squinty" was freshly hauled out in the morning and remained there all day.

Today Oct 11th (in blue) - Once again I found an overnighted R303 "BG" on D6m ~70%. On a second check with Laura (HMAR SM) and a volunteer we saw her entering the water.
Further down the beach in front of our Mokuleia side beach access RK40 "Napua" was hauled out and in the water we saw a big seal head bobbing up and down. We moved down there and I IDed R330 "Squinty". Both entered there water for their usual play session, "Napua" hauled out but "Squinty" kept rolling in the waves in front of her. She gave in and off they went for another play session.
I did 2 trips to the NARS, the second one with Laura. We kept 1/2 a step ahead of the rain all the way, when we turned back we got only lighter shower.
In the Main Pool reef island RO40 "Ka'ena" was sleeping since my earlier check.

In the late afternoon I did a third outing all the way to the Ponds. R303 "BG" had relocated to 10 Mnts Beach and R330 "Squinty" was alone here in front.  More tomorrow 🌺

No comments: