Friday, October 19, 2018

10/19/18-Monk Seal Dailies (part 1) RK72, RH32, RL42, RH48

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand and Lesley. Lesley's Ka'ena Update is part two of the dailies. AND she certainly had a busy seven seal day.

Team Billands first stop was at the outfall and spotted two seals foraging off of the outfall. After a while they split up. One was Kekoa RK72 ID'd by bleach number and green snout about the water. He kept foraging, came in the outfall for a look around, and then Team Billand lost sight of him. They did not see him the rest of the day.
Ka'ale after splitting apart from Kekoa disappeared. Team Billand headed over to a nearby beach to check and he was already there on the rocks snoozing all alone. He is looking quite handsome, good body condition, excellent girth, and his tags were showing.

Early in the afternoon they found RL42 Leia on the westside. She was way inland near the rock piles. She was snoozing peacefully and Team Billand was able to ID her from her tags. She was still there after 5 pm snoozing and still on her side, looking lovely and healthy.

Team Billand did the Ka'ena West trek and spotted a seal at the 30. The seal was resting, fat and green. They looked closely and couldn't get tell who this might be until they got a shot of the tag. It's Lei Ola RH48.  ( I just want to note that Lesley had seen her earlier in the day at back beach with RIP).  What is most interesting is when she moved her head they looked at her right side and there was NO HOOK!  This is the best news of the day..... after a year of having this hook piercing her mouth it was gone, no dangling line, no copper crimp.  All I know is Team Billand must have been doing the happy dance.  

 Ka'ale
 Kekoa 
RL42 Leia
 Lei Ola RH48 
 look ma, no hook

2 comments:

b said...

Its funny that seeing Lei Ola yesterday, puzzled me. I thought it was Her, but not seeing a hook threw me off.

I studied that girl, for over an hour, making sure it was LEI OLA here.

I see tags, TAGS, take a photo quick...HOLY SHIT, that is Lei Ola...but I dont see that dam hook, nor the little short line, nor the copper crimp any more. WOW...hook is GONE.

I studied her LEFT side of the mouth longer, to be positive hook was gone, YES IT IS.

DId I do my dance...hell yes, and cartwheels too!!!!!

I never thought I would live to see this day...LEI OLA, no longer hooked as far as I could see. YIPPPEEE....ZIPEE DEE DO DA...LIFE IS GRAND, OH SO SWEET.

Anonymous said...

I was celebrating the missing hook all the way in Illinois this morning. Thank you for the good news. She has been so stubborn about staying on the rocks and away from help. Hooray for natural process. I assume the hook rusted away in the salt water?
Bobbi