Tuesday, March 23, 2021

03/23/2021 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 

My apologies for slacking on sharing my HMS sightings with the blog for a couple of days. The official reports have had priority, long days at work, get reports done then go and enjoy some late afternoon and diner with the kids. We got Kimo's 5 grandkids together for the week it was fun, the 2 Kauai ones were her for their Spring break.

On Thursday I saw: RN58 LuanaRW02 PVKauai and RL74 Kami
On Friday I saw: RN58 LuanaRL74 Kami and RK36 Kauai Kolohe !!! Yes our lad is back after nearly a year (or it seems like that long). He was seen here and there on other islands. Last sighting was in Maui at the end of the year. He's looking very healthy. I also saw RO40 Ka'ena
The second highlight of the day was doing the nests survey 3 BFAL (Black Footed Albatross) together, the banded male and female with a non-banded one. The male was sitting in a nest on an abandoned egg. After sharing the news with the Pacific Rim team our bets are on for next season. We may be having our first BFAL nest.
On Saturday I saw: RN58 LuanaRG40 Holokai and RW02 PVKauai together, then RL74
Kami
 alone and RK36 Kauai Kolohe also alone on a beach. I'm very happy to set my eyes on him. The 2 banded BFALs were together on the nest, him on the egg. The LAAL chicks are starting to wonder around already, it's fun to watch them waddle around.
Today I saw RW02 PVKauaiRK36 Kauai KoloheRL74 Kami and RL98 Lina all in different locations.

We have had very unstable weather, lots of heavy rain, a couple of sunny days, strong trade winds and today on and off variable Kona wind with squalls in the morning and afternoon.
And adding to it all the Wedge Tail Shearwaters are back. More soon - Be Safe🌺😷


No comments: