Tuesday, January 3, 2023

01/03/2023 (part 2) Rabbit Island

In Marilyn's own words: 

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 1:30 - 3:45 pm today. Donna and Diane were with me for the first hour. The weather was sunny with moderate winds. Later in the viewing session shadows from passing clouds made viewing more difficult.

There were at least two seals and possibly a third, but we got only partial views of most of the seals.

On LPB, Donna is sure she saw an adult seal. I think it is a rock shaped like a seal, so I'll let you all make up your own mind.

There were two seals mostly hidden in the SRI area.

I'm calling the seal nearer the beach an Unknown Unknown (UU): initially I thought this was a juvenile seal, but when it moved nearer to the shore, I thought it might be a subadult. I never saw the belly or the rear flippers.

A little further out on the rockflats was a seal that I'm calling an Unknown Male (UM). When I did my first sweep of the island with the spotting scope before I set up the camera, the UM showed me a gray male belly. Then he turned over and showed me his dorsal side. Then about a half hour we started viewing, he disappeared.

The 3BS (Third Blue Sign) has been repaired during my absence.


seal - rock ?? 

No comments: