Saturday, November 3, 2018

11/3/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: ( part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update Yesterday & Today.

Today's News:
Morning started with 3 seals right here in front.
RR70 "RIP", RW02 "PVKauai" and R330 "Squinty" they were spread out along the beach.
RW02 "PVKauai" was up in the naupakas and on my first pic I had the impression he had started his molt and I reported it as. But this afternoon I saw him again and didn't see the crack !?!?! downloading the pics I noticed it was a Morning Glory leaf on his chest.

I met up with Marilyn, Diane, Ken and Alexis. We all started in towards the point.
RK88 "Puna" was at the Pkg Lot Beach were he spent all day.-
Out at the point RO40 "Ka'ena" was at the entrance of his pool
The big surprise was to spot a seal with a new coat on the outer reefs of the main Pool. We sat patiently waiting for it to give us some info on it's ID. It had a visible scar on it's front left shoulder...familiar... I looked around and saw 2 no 3 CC scars on its back.... wait a little longer... R353 kept popping to our heads... we needed that belly shot...finally as we were about to leave and had already agreed it was her R353., she turned and showed her belly and the scarline on her chest.

On my late afternoon check RK88 "Puna" was still @ Pkg Lot Beach and only RW02 "PVKauai" was left on the beach.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº

Yesterday's News:
Yesterday's 2018-11-02 report:

My coolest find of the day was to see the beautiful BIG green turtle hauling out at 10Mnts Beach.
Once or twice a year we get to see a BIG turtle hauling out there. I like to think that it is the same one, it has no markings so I probably will never know for sure.

RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out on top of reefs at the entrance of his pool.

In the afternoon I found RR70 "RIP" molt 95% and RW02 "PVKauai" in front of the house.

Just as I was stepping down to the beach I saw a "glass ball" !!!! in front of our door step??? but alas getting closer it was a kid toy still in it's original wrap and sealed. I was nearly starting to call my pal Sealette Kauai Val to share the news...


No comments: