Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1-17-2012 DB's Dailies:Duke&U/M@RI, Kermit@IR, Kaiwi@SC, RO28@Koolina, Kekoa&T21M@RR, Rocky@Waikiki


At 0611 I found Kermit (R012) once again snoozin' at Irma's. This is D#6 of his stay. I'm happy to say that his D#15 molt is 100%. He has remained all day. Kermit was still there when I picked up the rope at dark.
On my 0720 Rabbit Island check I found what would remain and U/M up in the vegetation at Seal Rock Inlet. The howling, wind gusts of 52 mph, and the overcast, and lack of movement by the animal made an ID impossible. My dollar is on Buster but ?????? BTW Kailua Kayak posse peeps mentioned seeing a "large" animal today in and around "flat island" Kailua beach... there were no tours out to the mokes given weather conditions. And I was told this animal was a lot larger than the "weaner" nani.  Hmmm seems like Kailua waters are getting visitors lately. 

At 1141 I had better luck with Duke (RA12) at the left end of the island, 40 ft left of 1BS. I had all the same observation problems however he was kind enough to show me his juvenile belly, and on a hind flipper flex at 1214 show me his new CC scar as well as 2 red tags.
Posse member Gayle called at 1621 to advise that she was with Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave. I was in route when Gayle called at 1630 to advise that I should turn around since she had not seen Kaiwi since she'd called me. Given the weather and lighting conditions I had no problems at all zipping in to Lanai Lookout and returning home. Thank you Gayle for the sighting and the save.

Team Billand checked in at 0720 with the report of Pohaku (RO28) at Secret Beach, Koolina. The Billands will be getting home late this evening so check da' blog in the morning for Team Billand photos.

I'm happy to report that Dera is Back !!! We spoke several times today, but the most fun was her 1400 call, advising that Reef Runway posse member Eileen had called to report that today, Kekoa (RK72) and T21M were at the RR but at separate locations. She also advised that Ewa Girl and Kekoa had been there yesterday. Thank You Eileen !!! Hip hip Hooray!!!!

I got a call from DOCARE, at 1511 asking for assistance with an animal fronting the Shorebird in Waikiki. When I contacted Dera at 1513 she was already aware of the situation and advised that an SPZ had been established and that volunteers Don and Karen Rohter were responding. Karen reported the right should pit scar and natural bleach on the left fore flipper, that confirm the Rocky (RH58) ID.
Kermit relaxing out at Irma's.
 Rocky at Waikiki by the outrigger... Geesh Rocky do you really have to haul out here... there are much better places to relax. 

 Photos from January 11th sent to Kelly Girl from Jeff and Claudia hikers out past High Rock. They came across La'akea and got these great shots....  She's looking very healthy.  Wonder if Jeff and Claudia hike often? Someone should give them a quick overview of approaching and taking photos.  She seems too aware of their presence and with an animal this young we want to avoid any familiarity with us humans for her own safety and well being.


3 comments:

kelly girl said...

After receiving the pictures I emailed back and explained the in's and out's of seal picture taking:) and to be careful etc., I did mention to them how especially grateful I was to received shots of N31 who we haven't seen in a while. Just letting you know not to worry, already taken care of:)

Donna said...

THANK U KELLY! your the best.

Barbara said...

What a magnificent photo of a pretty girl. Look at that face, awe, I love her. Those eyes are wide opened...sweet!! Looking very healthy!!!