Sunday, January 8, 2012

1-8-2012 Kelly Girl with North Shore News

Kelly Girl sent in the following pictures of Ua Maile (RT10) and update on La'akea's big sister. Question is where is La'akea lately?
At 1600 it was on to High Rock while it was still light. I arrived to a beautiful rainbow shining over Ua Malie on her princess thrown. The surf was pounding pretty big and rushing thru and up and around High Rock. There were hundreds of tiny waterfalls everwhere and the sound of the roaring ocean had put Ua Malie fast asleep. She only awoke for an itch or two.
I watched her for about an hour with no one in sight and not much movement on her part. I identifed her by her T10 tag which was the only tag showing. I went on to check seal beach at the refuge but no seals. I left High Rock/refuge area at 1730.

Beautiful shot.... 
 High Rock - Ua Maile in foreground
 Snoozing without a care in the world

3 comments:

Diga said...

Nice shots Kelly! It looks like you had a beautiful day at High Rock. Diane

kelly girl said...

Thanks Diane. Can't wait to get a better camera. Come out with me some time. I have an easier route, less brutal that usual. There is plenty room there for La'akea as you can see in the picture. There is another princess thrown just a stone throw away from Ua Malie.

kelly girl said...

I believe La'akea was just seen Friday the 6th of January. Identified by her N31 bleach mark out at High Sands/Hanakailio Beach.
I spoke with Brad from Hele Huli Adventure Center at Turtle Bay Resort and he said he called it in when he saw her on one of his Segway tours. He was impressed at how fast the seal sighting line called him back, like 5 minutes:)
I have been recruiting them to do their part educating the tourists and to call us when they see a seal. I have been passing on all kinds of information to them and encouraging them to keep the 150ft distance.
I also told Hele Huli to also call Turtle Bay Resort Security if they see a seal. It was late in the afternoon when he saw her and said she was really putting on a show for the Segway group he had out there. She was playing with everything in sight. Good and bad I suppose? Time for a beach clean up?
I made him promise to educate the tourists and to not approach the seals if the tourist were to go looking for them after the Segway tour.
Brad is an excellent tour guide and really interested in all of the endangered seals and birds he sees on his tour. Way to go Brad. Thanks for helping us out! Mahalo, kelly girl