Monday, January 2, 2012

1-2-2012 Kelly Girl Finds RI37


Another call and another trip to Laie thru horrible North Shore traffic to find RI37/I38 next to Bath Tub Beach. It was about 1230 when I arrived. I was able to bring signs and education the numerous beach goers.

I felt if I got to close to get shot of her tail that she would feel disturbed, the beach is very narrow with little room, so I did not approach the seal for a ID but I did see the I37 thru the binoculars. You can see her propeller scar by her tail . She is looking mighty plump.

I'd like to give a special shout out to Raymond and his step-son, the residents of the yellow house that RI37 hauled out in front of. They are really taking initiative to protect this critically endangered seal. They have numerous seal sightings in this area and have offered to put up signs and give us a call when a seal hauls out. So I left them some signs and spent some time educated and training them on what and what not to do. They are looking foraward to attending our next training session. They are doing the best they can to protect our endangered monk seals. I thank them so very much!

I then headed to pounders for a quick check, no seals. Then it was back to Turtle Bay arriving at 1530 I checked the strip/Right Spot's spot and on out to the keiki pool, no seals. I then road the seal mobile the back way to High Sands and scanned the beach with binoculars, no seals.

I educated a few folks on the way out there and spoke with Mike the security guard from Turtle Bay who is very pro-active in protecting the seals. I departed Turtle Bay at 1730 with no luck of finding any seals. Surfs up on the North and West side expected to be 20 to 25 feet thru Tuesday.

Another great seal day in paradise,
me ke aloha, kelly girl

 

5 comments:

kelly girl said...

Thanks for the post Donna! I hope I got the names right in the blog. I met so many people that day. I really try and recruit people to pay attention to what's going on with the Hawaiian monk seals. It looks like that is a very popular location for seal haul outs. It's great when homeowners take initiative to protect the seals. I only wish I had more time to help out. I apologize for any grammer mistakes in the blog, I am very exhausted by the end of the day and trying to make a report or sending in a blog doesn't always work out as planned. As hard as it is for me, I wanted to mention what a terrific job you do putting all that information together definitely challenging. Is there any chance you need a new board member? I am very interested in getting involved. Please let me know. Me ke aloha, kelly girl

Donna said...

Kelly Girl.... don't need to apologize for grammar mistakes... I make them all the time.

You Miss Kelly Girl are a HUGE ASSET to HMSRTO and the protection of our beloved Hawaiian monk seals. You are one of those volunteers who has above and beyond the call.... I thank you and I am sure I can speak for others.

As far as the home owners in the yellow house... YES this is fantastic they are willing to take time and help out. I WISH I had them hauling out in front of my house.

I think in the end the best outreach and education we can do are to the people who frequent the beaches, live and play by the ocean.

Again thank you again Kelly Girl!

Anonymous said...

Do you think RI37 could be pregnant again?

Donna said...

It's certainly possible.... She is of the right age... let's hope she has a better time of it this time around.

kelly girl said...

Ok I got it wrong again. Azlina, Raymond and Anthony do not live in the yellow house but live next to it. Here's another big shout out to you folks!! I believe they have RI37 there again today. I am so excited for them as they have choosen to come on board as monk seal volunteers. I am relieved to know that the area there will be covered on what possible looks to be a daily basis.
I feel honored and priviledged to have them with us but mostly relieved:) me ke aloha, kelly girl