Tuesday, January 3, 2012

1-3-2012 DB's Dailies: U/M,Buster&M38@RI, Rocky@KK, Kermit@WP


At 0710, on my first look at Rabbit Island I found Buster (RV08) in the vegetation behind Seal Rock Inlet. He would later move down, allowing a look at his D#10 molt which is 20%.

Also at 0710 I became aware of a partially visible animal behind the dunes , 40 ft left of 1BS. At 1232 the animal would move into view, and I could see that it was the same U/M I've seen for 3 days now, with the new wound on the belly. Visibility sucked today because of the VOG, and I had to leave for two other calls, so I still don't know who it is, for sure. DB, just as a note for the record... Kailua Sailboard Kayak peeps reported a seal swimming around the mokes on Monday... never hauled out.. and was at a distance where they couldn't determine the size. But from the reports sounded as though it wasn't just passing through. Time was between 11-1, multiple sightings.
At 0903 on a pan I found M38 once again snoozin' amongst the water front rocks to the right of Seal Rock Inlet. He would remain all day.

On my first look at Spitting Cave, I'd found nobody, but Gayle called at 0948 to advise that she had Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave. When I arrived at 1012 I could confirm the Kaiwi ID. We lost her at approximately 1030, and half heartedly joked about her hauling out at Crappy Cove at 1330 (ha,ha,ha). We were wrong....... she arrived at 1303 !! She would remain the rest of the day. Thanks to Gayle,Kathy, June & Zeenie. Kaiwi was snoozin' in the Naupaka at dark.

Dana called at 1303 to advise of 2 animals. First was Kaiwi at Crappy Cove. The other was an animal at the Kokee Flats. While I dealt with Kaiwi, Gayle and Kathy went to KK, and called to confirm that there was in fact an animal there. When I arrived at 1345 I found Rocky (RH58).

Team Billand checked in at 0807 to report Kermit (R012), fronting #1708 at White Plains. It appears that Kermit has begun his molt. A break is visible in his left fore flipper pit. Not the traditional start, but then what else is traditional about Kermie.

The Billands, and later Dana spoke of some kind of lay net, Docare incident in Nanakuli this morning. Hopefully, Dana will elaborate on the story on da' blog. Apparently there was an animal raiding somebodys net, and he was unhappy about that. The bottom line is that the animal was last seen swimming off in a west direction.

Dana called at 1645 with the reports of animals in Ewa Beach, KoOlina and Iroquois Point. Clay found Irma (R010) at IRQ, the KoOlina animal was gone when the volunteer arrived, and no word at this writing on the Ewa Beach animal.
 Unidentified Male (U/M)
 Wound on the belly.... wonder who this guy is.... DB, you have no guesses? no need to wager any cats or the mrs.  
 Rocky at Kokee Flats... 
 
 Rocky is looking very full figured
 Irma @ KoOlina 
 Kermit @ White Plains 
 Nice close up of pudgy face
 Kermit when you going to molt man?
 Barbara's seal sand sculpture
 some would say cloudy sun.... but we know... it's a vog sunset!

1 comment:

Dana Jones said...

Fortunately not a DOCARE incident. I investigated the area after a report of interaction between gill netter and seal. Net was being removed when I arrived. Fisherman mentioned a seal but the interaction was not mentioned, duh. Spoke with Earl later in the day and he will be following up on the information I provided.