Wednesday, June 21, 2023

June 21, 2023 (part 2) Yesterday's News

 In the yesterday news department, Melody spent the day with a bunch of weaners! LOL.
Here in her own words:

I went up to the North Shore today to visit the weaners. I had heard that both Leia and recently, Luana, had both weaned their pups PO6 (S08) and PO7. I also wanted to see how Kaiwi  s girl Pualani (S36) was doing.  
When I arrived, I immediately saw a weaner in the shallows laying on its belly with its head in the water. It didn  t bring it  s head up for over 5 minutes so I was worried. I think it was foraging in one of the reef holes. I got a look at the tag and it was Leia  s kid PO6 (S08) (both PO6 and PO7 haven  t officially been named yet). 
A little while later, I looked over and there was another weaner to the right of the rocks. I could tell
right away because of the transmitter on its back that it was Pualani (S36). She too had her head in the water digging in a reef hole. 
Both PO6 and S36 kept foraging for about 20 minutes. I  m not sure if either of them knew they had company. All of a sudden, Pualani got a sniff of PO6 and she started making her way over to her. 
A little while later they were sniffing each other  s muzzles. They started playing follow the leader as Pualani decided to go over some rocks and forage again. PO6 followed. Then they started to have fun play fighting in the tide pools. It was fun to watch too. 
After about 40 minutes, they took off together and headed out into deeper and rougher surf together. I packed up my things and headed down the beach to search for PO7. Sure enough it didn  t take long to spot him in the water foraging as well. He was bringing up sea cucumbers like crazy and other non-organic things he shouldn  t have    typical weaner behavior. He stayed out in the water cruising the coast for over an hour then finally had his fill and hauled out to rest. I decided to pack it up and head home since it was lunch time

No comments: