Saturday, January 8, 2011

1-8-11 Kermit @ Fort DeRussey

It was a VERY long day - instead of sitting a seal I did a standing a seal day and lot's of PR.   I arrived on the beach at noon took over Becky's shift, in the afternoon Colleen came for a couple of hours, but she had to leave so I stayed for the craziness of sunset on Waikiki. Waited for it to get dark enough to pick up the ropes,signs,... finally when the HPD came by to check I turned the shift over to them ;) and left at 8:30pm.

Kermit didn't mind the "zoo" around him all day. He had his nose on the water line for most of the day (my impression it was for to be ready to run off if needed). As soon as the water activity calmed down in the late afternoon he turned around and gallumped up a couple of meters up, prepared a pillow and did finally get some "deep" sleep.

All sorts of comments were said about his rotting looks, words that turned in to love after standing observing him for only a couple of minutes.

I think we got a couple of new volunteers today !!!
Aloha, Lesley

1 comment:

Becky Gray said...

Maybe Kermit decided that Waikiki couldn't be any crazier than White Plains? People were all respectful except for those walking the water line with their heads down (or somewhere else). Most were intrigued, even awed by our Kermit. Many thanks and much appreciation to Waikiki HPD officers. My experience is they arrive first and stay to control the curious and unknowing until someone from HMRSTO shows. Today, HPD stayed to help and even checked back to make sure all was OK during my shift.