Wednesday, January 5, 2011

1-4-11 DB Dailies

The Rabbit Island day began with M38. He would later be joined by Kolohe and Duke.
The highlight of my day came on my 3rd check of Kaupo Beach Park at 1005. I found my little pal Makana at the pier end of the beach. I called Tracy, and she advised that Sean and Mark where on the way. At 1102 Makana earned his RT24/25 tags. He went in the water at 1104. I hung out for an hour but could not find him, so I went to Makai Pier. At 1250 Dera called with the report of "N27" at Kaupo Beach Park. When I arrived at 1257 I saw Makana lazing amongst the off shore rocks about 30 ft out. He would finally haul out to the water front rock, approximately 50 ft east of where he was tagged, at 1355. I cordoned him off, and did some outreach. On my 1700 check he was just entering the water. He remained in the shallows playing with a plastic can until 1711 when he headed outside.

Posse member Rachel called at 1438 with the report of an animal 2 doors west of Colleen's house at Diamond Head. Colleen would later confirm the Rocky ID.

Team Billand reported Kermit fronting #1708 at White Plains at 0710. He has definitely begun his molt. D#1 10%.  At 0915 they found RO28 at Maili Point. Barbara called at 1621 to report that Benny was now with RO28. 
Barbara ,Val and Ron did the Ka'ena Point trek today. I've told you before that Monk Seals look warm and fuzzy, and sweet, but actually they have a really evil sense of humor. Barbara & Da' Bloys found ZERO critters at the end of the world..... Bummer !!!  

An evening email from Dera brought news of a sighting of an animal in Waialua, that fits the KC description, but nothing confirmed at this writing.


Rocky
Makana
 Makana tagged RT24/RT25

1 comment:

Keith Kenyon said...

0 at Kaena Point again?!?!

Wow! Went from boom (last summer) to bust. I do like the fence project they are working on out there. Hope it does what it's advertised to do.