Saturday, January 15, 2011

1-15-11 Rocky @ Waikiki (Dana update)

I already sent a rundown on most of the day. Just to fill you in on tonight's little drama. Big Mike beach boy helped to take down ropes and replace signs in anticipation of an overnighter and high tide.

About 7:00PM some local folks hanging out (according to one lady they were the normal homeless that hang at the picnic area there at Kuhio Beach) were trying their best to get a reaction out of Kimo (new volunteer) Kelly Evans and myself. After trying to breach the perimeter SEVERAL times they laid back to wait for us to leave. The usual rhetoric that we've all heard before. We ignored the yelling and taunts until one of the kids started playing with a laser light and messing with Rocky.

AT that point their behavior was escalating and I placed a call to 911. HPD showed up and were very upset over the laser light. Spoke to the group of about 8 and informed them to leave the area. They cited the Uncle for the laser light.


The group did wander off, but were still visible and vocal about our being there protecting Rocky. We outwaited them and FINALLY Rocky went over the sea wall with a tail flip to us all. Occured about 8:00PM. Goodbye and take care lovely lady.

Colleen came by about 7:45PM and picked up signs and rope to be prepared, for what we hope WILL NOT be another Waikiki Seal Day.
Big Mahalo to Kelly and Kimo for hanging out and for being there today. Two new volunteers got their blue stripes for a tough day.
Mahalo,
Dana
Rocky
Mahalo to Collen, Lesley and Karen (Rohter)  for the photos.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Really cool shots of the Lovely Rocky, taking her snooze on the wall. Rocky does what she wants! Too bad about the dummies...glad you were all there for Rocky...what a shame these folks cant just observe a great MONK SEAL, RESPECT IT'S SPACE, and not interfere with its rest. I think the next seal to show up, will be, Benny. Good luck with him...he is very smart seal and if he hears folks bothering him, he will let them know how he feels with looks, snorts and his head going up and down. And he will growl and moan at them, THATS BENNY.

Becky Gray said...

Trying to set up a perimeter in those lagoons which washed all signs and cones over immediately has prompted some research on my part. I am buying some sand anchors before I go out again! But that is incidental to a huge thank you to Big Mike for his help all day long not to mention personal support when confronting the Russian tourist throwing rocks at the seal. I confirmed to HPD after I called them that I, myself, had personally seen the man throw something (probably a piece of coral that is scattered over the floor of the lagoon) toward Rocky. Big Mike did above and beyond to help all day today including using his concession sign. A couple of local guys helped with those shifting perimeters, too. One said he'd like to take care of the guy throwing rocks at a seal. I pointed over to the group of Russian tourists and HPD officers, explaining that HPD seemed to be doing his wish. A huge thank you to these folks and bows to HPD for the many officers that showed up, investigated, and interviewed. Mahalo to Colleen, her daughters, Karen, and Lesley, too on my watch. Dana also came from Nanakuli to help (likely to make sure I wasn't arrested.) and Kelly came by bus from Waialua.

Donna said...

Wish I had been called I would have been able to help up until 3.
I think I have fallen off the call list.... one of the times we had a seal at DeRussey, I was at a condo not even a block away...

Nice we have such dedicated volunteers.... and HPD is coming out to help... now if we could get DOCARE to respond in a similar manner.

Dana Jones said...

One of the reasons I LOVE BENNY. IF someone is feeling left out, don't you worry. The next Waikiki haul out, you will be #2 or #3 on the call list. After Colleen and Becky. Sorry, it's all about geography.