Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1-11-11 DB Dailies

From Makai Pier at 0755 I found what would prove to be Sadie , up in the Morning Glory, 10 ft left of 3BS on Rabbit Island. She would later move down allowing the ID, and remained all day.

At 1204 M38 hauled out 70 ft right of 3BS. He too would remain the rest of the day.

To my complete surprise, at 1338 I found Sam moving down to the far left end of the beach. He had been hidden from me behind the sand dune and Morning Glory 40 ft left of 1BS all day.

In the beginning the area from Halona Blowhole to Makapuu Point had been called Wawamalu Beach You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who knows that. In 1932 a portion of that land was purchased to form the Alan Davis Estate, which was wiped out in the Tsunami of 1946. Since then it has been known by it's surf
spot name.... AD's. (Alan Davis Estate). In recent years the land from the AD's wall to Makapuu Point, was purchased by the State and is now known as the Ka' Iwi Coastline area. With that bit of history in mind.......

The highlight of my day began with Karen Rohter's call at 1420, saying that her sister , Sharlene had called to say that she had seen a small seal on her Ka' Iwi coastline hike at around noon. I spoke with Sharlene and with her guidance I found Makana, approximately 300 yds east of the AD's wall. I had not seen him on my 0700 check, but I may well have missed him in the morning lighting on those rocks, or he may have arrived later. Thank you Karen and Sharlene. Ain't Posses Grrrrreat !!!!

Colleen called at 0808 to advise that Kermit was still on the beach, just down from her house. So far its been 3 days , 2 nights, but I'm pretty sure Colleen can get him a rate on the Outrigger 4 day , 3 night package. Colleen sent excellent shots and I'm sticking with the 55% percent figure for his D#8 molt. To my surprise the Billands , who took their female pup to a Queens appointment, also stopped by the say Hi ! to Kermie. They had also stopped to check the trough at Magic Island in the morning, finding nobody. More on that in a moment.
Karen Bryan called at 1158 to say that a friend had told her that there was an animal at Pryamid Rock on MCBH. I contacted Dera, who contacted Gordon at the base and he confirmed that it was KC.

At 1715, Dera called to say that she was just getting off work, and that she was responding to a call she had just received about an animal at Magic Island. At 1800 she confirmed that it was Rocky, at her usual trough location.

KC @ MCBH 

No comments: