Sunday, December 10, 2017

12/10/2017 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

I decide late to head out to the point today and left the house at noon.
The waves were ENORMOUS. Arriving at Hidden Beach I found RG40 "Holokai" mid beach near the Naupaka Island, bigger sets were washing him. There was "Hawaiian snow" everywhere.
On one of the sets "Holokai" got covered by the foam - he looked like a snowman.
At the point RO40 "Ka'ena", RN14 "Molokai" and R353 (F) were  hauled out on Back Beach. I spent several hours watching them and doing outreach with other hikers that braved the weather and came out.
Waves were covering Main Pool from side to side. A tourist from Russia was looking at the waves, told me they looked like steps and there was no receding. I pointed out that we were at the point and the waves were rolling on to the west side.
The albatrosses were singing, clacking, flying and mating - there was so much going-on, on the fields.
On my way back I checked on "Holokai", he was still there.
Made it home with the last light of day.

No comments: