Sunday, October 18, 2009

Saturday Seal Day

Aloha Good People!

I spent my Saturday surrounded by seals... and I wasn't even on "official" seal count duty....

My morning started by heading for the Aquarium to help David and Dr. Greg load KP2 for transport. Our star seal had a examination today at the Honolulu Zoo and it is my understanding the state of the art equipment used in this examination was donated by Holden Hospital Supply. So whats so special about that you might ask... well I will tell you... Aunty Sharon thats what is so special... Our aunty Sharon (chester's aunty sharon) works at Holden Hospital Supply and she took the call from Doc Levine.... Well once the ball got rolling, the very very generous owners.. donated the equipment. You see people the power of a volunteer network can accomplish AMAZING things... So THANK YOU Aunty Sharon... Thank you Holden Hospital Supply!


Okay back to my story... while little KP was being checked out by the docs.. I was making my way back to the windward side when I put a call into DB... since I was passing Sandy's DB asked me to check on Benny who he had roped off early. PAY ATTENTION>>>> lesson to be learned... never assume a seal on the beach is the same seal you think you are there to be checking on....

Long story short... I checked the SPZ .... no seal.. looked to the right and realized the BIG rock was a seal... moved the SPZ to the WHO I thought was Benny.... I was pretty proud of myself... as I set up the zone I managed to answer a few questions from the looky-loos.... yes he's fine, that's an adult male... blah blah blah... Got in my car stopped by to see DB.. meantime, Mrs. DB stopped over to Sandy's saw the great SPZ I set up and called DB to tell him ... its wasn't Benny it was Right Spot.... DUH! Do you think I should have checked and verified who the animal was... Well let that be a lesson to you all.

By the way, KP2 is doing well and I am sure David will be sending out a status soon... although it sounds like he will be staying a wee bit longer at the aquarium. ~donna~

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Blog Lady!!! I did the exact same thing you did..Take it for granted Irma was at White Plains, well she been there since Sept, thats why in the dark, I assumed it was IRMA...It was actually KERMIT!!! I even used flash to show a seal was in the dark on shore. HE!HE! Ha. ha. DUH!!!!! DING DONG!!! OOPS!! I know exactlly how you feel. High Five BABY!!!