Tuesday, October 13, 2009

DB Post Tuesday 10/13

I was on the road at 0545, and on my first look at Sandy Beach, there was no Right Spot, I picked up the signs and continued on. On my 2nd check of Sandy Beach at 0635 there was still no Right Spot, however on the 0651,on the 3rd check, there was Right Spot waiting for me , all of 20 ft left of yesterday's haul out location. I got her cordoned off, and checked her through out the day. She was still there on my 1600 check. I'll return at dusk.

From Makai Pier at 0638 the Rabbit Island cast would begin with RIP at the left end of the beach. When I got back to MP at 0940 I found that Mojo had joined the cast at the right end , and Mikala at the left end. Both would remain at those locations all day. RIP would enter the water at 1019 and join Mojo at the right end at 1224, where he would spend the remainder of the day.

The Totally Amazing aspect of the day ocurred at 1237 when to my complete shock and awe, BENNY hauled out to join RIP and Mojo. There was some low level barking but no major action. Benny would reenter the water at 1331 and haul out again at the left end of the beach at 1337. Why the amazement you ask ?............... I'd last seen Benny on Rabbit Island on 10-7-09. Then yesterday , 10-12-09 , the Billands provided photographic proof that he was at "Kermit's Reef" on the west side of the Nimitz jetty at 1418. Twenty two hours later he is back at Rabbit Island !!!!! I am not amazed by the time....... that is more than enough time to make the trip. What Amazes me is that he would DO such a thing !!!

Sane people are always asking me how I can spend my life watching these animals sleep all day on the beach all day. Moments like Benny's travels or knowing the M38 can zip back and forth from Molokai to RI , or how Rocky can go from Colleen's backyard at Diamond Head to Kermit's Reef, and soooooooo many other little factoids of day to day Monk Seal life is WHY !! I've said zillions of times that is amazing what you see, when you look. I highly recommend to each of you that you look at the beaches of your own backyards. Ask the Billand, ask Diane & Val, ask Colleen. Try look, maybe you'll be amazed too.

Team Billand reported that they had received a call about animals at White Plains and at Nimitz Beach at 0833. They confirmed Irma at White Plains at 0940, and Kermit and Rocky on the west side of the Nimitz jetty, at Kermit's Reef and the beach behind at 1007
A subsequent call at 1454 advised that Irma was still at WP, but that Rocky had Kermit's Reef to herself, with no Kermit in sight.

When I arrived at Sandy Beach at 1811, Right Spot was gone. There were no witnesses in the area. There was no evidence of encroachment into the cordoned area so I presume she left of her own volition. I picked up the stuff and called it a day at 1830.

Mikala Benny
Benny, RIP & Mojo

No comments: