Wednesday, October 7, 2009

DB Post Tuesday 10/6

Aloha Good People - I recommend before you read today's daily grab yourself a bowl of popcorn cause this story is full of action and passion !! Thanks to DB the seal whisperer we have all the blow by blow details!
Whew !!!.. The opening few minutes of today's observations provided more action that I've seen total in the last year, and the day just got more and more interesting .

When I looked into the scope from the Makapuu Overview I could see what would turn out to be Buster and Benny on Rabbit Island, right of 3BS, even though the hazy and morning light made for junk visibility . I immediately relocated to Kaupo Beach Park. From that location I realized that Kolohe was just above Benny and Buster up in the grass. Just as I looked into the scope I found what would prove to be Mojo , just hauling out to Buster and Benny's location, 60 ft right of 3BS. Benny went into full battle mode, and charged Mojo and total chaos followed. It was full body contact, no joke Battle ! Mojo finally got disentangled from Benny and moved further up to get to Kolohe, who was by now headed higher up away from all the fun. Eventually, Kolohe and Mojo would end up 40 ft right of 3BS.

Just as that battle was ending another animal hauled out at the same location and once again Benny went to full battle mode and charged what would turn out to be Kermit. Once again it was full body, teeth, hair and eyes, no joke battle. Kermit would back off a bit to get clear of Benny, and then do a macho , slow roll back down to the water. You see this often. It is a male's way of maintaining his "machoness" and says, I'm leavin' but it's because I want to.... not because I'm afraid of you.... punk !!! Mojo had been watching this from afar, and when Kermit entered the water, he moved down and entered the water too.

I'll take a break in the story to bring everybody up to date on Mojo and Kermit. Regular fans know Kermit from his SW quadrant exploits, but some may not even be aware of Mojo. Kermit , as you know has been over in the SW quadrant of late, along with Irma at White Plains. He has not been to Rabbit Island since his fish hook ordeal began back on 4-22-09. After yesterday's dailies were sent off I got a call from Tracy about an animal in the water at Queen's Beach in Waikiki, that never hauled out, due to all the people lining the beach front, taking pictures. I never got a haul out call after that, so the episode ended. When I found Kermit at Rabbit Island this morning there was ZERO doubt in my mind who the Waikiki swimmer had been. Kermit usually molts at Rabbit Island in December, so whether his arrival has anything to do with that or not, only Kermit knows.

Mojo ( Irma's #2 son.... born at RI) has been a Molokai resident of late , but even then Val hasn't reported him since 7-31-09, over there. He was last seen on Oahu, in the company of KC at MCBH on 7-19-09. His last trip home to Rabbit Island was on 3-8-09. It was a great find to find my #2 son, at Rabbit Island again. He molts in October, so it remains to be seen if his trip home has anything to do with that.

Okay...... now back to the story. When I got to Makai Pier at 0730 I found that Mojo had hauled out 40 ft left of 1BS. He would be joined by Kermit at 0819, and after some barking from Mojo, both settled down to snooze mode. Kermit woud later do his best "cruiser male" thing and on two more occasions tried to sneak up on Benny and Buster. Benny got him at 30 feet both times. On the last one Buster took off while Benny was doing battle. When Benny realized that his pal was gone he took off too. I saw neither again today. Both Kermit and Mojo would end the day at 3BS.

On a routine pan at 0908 I realized that RIP was at the left end of the Middle Cliff area. I'm sure he had been there all along, and I'd just missed him in the funky morning lighting. He would eventually haul out to join his little brother Mojo for a while and end the day along side Kolohe. RIP's D#2 molt is approximately 10%.

At 0815 I found little Mikala at the right end of the beach. She would run afoul of both Kermit and RIP at various points during the day, but managed to ditch both of them and ended the day by herself at the far left end of the beach.

At 1421 the cast came to a fitting conclusion when Duke hauled out to join Mojo at 1BS. They would enter the water together, but at 1432 Duke would haul out by himself, 100 ft left of 1BS , where he spent the remainder of the day. I had last seen Duke on 10-2-09.

Team Billand called at 0603 to report Irma, once again near the Snack Bar, at White Plains. Irma had departed when they got back to WP at 1600.

Like I said.........Whew !!!
Kermit, Kolohe, Buster & Benny
Kermit & Benny
Mojo & Duke
Mojo & Kermit

No comments: