Monday, October 19, 2009

Barb & Rob run a race

Just so people know Barb and Rob sent some great pictures, unfortunately the files are a little too big for me to upload ... so hopefully the can condense the file and I will re-post. ~donna~
6am found a large seal in the dark on shore, high up. Assumed it was Irma who been in the same spot for evers every day. Roped the mammal off, made it large as Irma moves alot. Quickly left site for KP2 Duty at Aquarium.

7am or so...get a call from DB a seal is at Waikiki near 2F tower. Police marked area off with yellow tape, NO SIGNS.

As we reach Waikiki we are flagged off Kalakaua due to some Race for Cancer!! We can not go to the AQuarium at all. Rob drops me off and I run to the site of the seal. I begin my observation and run into Diane Gabriel by surprise. She said she thinks the seal is Irma, it was hard to tell. I look and to MY SURPRISE, it WAS IRMA. Oh my gosh...I look at my photo taken at early morning and I see a green seal...KERMIT!!! See, I took it for granted, since Irma been in the same spot, seeing a seal in the darkness...I made a booboo. I am so ashamed of myself. I was so worried about getting to White Plains fast to mark off IRma, then rush off to Waikiki immediately. Sorry guys. He. HE. Kermit you RAT!!!!

Diane and I were discussing, DB wants signs up for Irma. We didnt have any. I called Rob, who had a few signs left and he said as soon as he could get to the aquarium, he'd bring signs and rope. That never happened...traffic was nuts. NO parking.

Then Diane mentioned Dana Jones was at KP duty, I said GREAT!!! SHe should have signs and rope. Diane called her, I ran to the Aquarium and spotted Dana , she ran to her vehicle, gave me four or five signs and some signs without poles. I ran back to the site of IRma.

A stranger, saw me running and struggling with all the equipment and my bags, he said, I am chuck, I can help you...going to the seal on shore. YES!!! I said, he joined me, followed me to the site. Said he was from Florida and saw the seal. He wanted to HELP US.

We were placing the signs, this man chuck helped. Another man appears, asks my name, I told him, asked what was the other volunteers names and the name of the seal, when did it arrive? HE writes it all down in a tablet. Dont know who he was, I had to run to KP duty. As I leave a couple needs a pen, I gotta stop again, give them my pen while they exchange e maill.

Finally arrive at Aquarium on TIME. Dana is still there. Doc Levine calls, will be late with all the traffic. He came around 9 and he immediately told us to feed KP2..10 herring. We also had to stuff medicine in a single fish. We split the fish between Rob, Diane and me. Dana didnt want to do it. But to our great disappointment, Little KP wouldnt accept a single fish. Doc stops feed.

Finally everyone leaves the KP site, I spend time with the little guy with those sassy eyes. He was sleeping.

Rob decides to go back to our vehicle parked in Timbucktoo, wants to park closer to aquarium...he leaves.

Kp awakens from his short snooze and is motor boating, making all kinds of sounds, then tries many attempts to jump out of TANK. I watch him in awe, this little guy is powerful and very determined. He continues for like 20 or 30 min. and then..settles. Wow, what a display to observe.

Just before 12, the Maldonados arrive...I take our last shots of KP, bid him farewell. Maldonados drain pond, Kp2 immediately goes on his side to bask and sleep. Awe, is that what he wanted, to bask??? Or did he just want to jump out and escape??

We leave at 12:15 to go to White Plains, check on the KERMIT. We arrive at close to 2:28..Kermit is right in the middle of the perimeter we had set up in the dark, snoozing on his back. Jim Brown and Allen R. are there at the site, watching over Kermit. We chat and observ Kermit till after 3:00pm. Called it a day....oh what a day it's been....

The end!!!!

B

No comments: