Friday, October 16, 2009

DB Post Friday 10/16

It has been quite a busy day in the Monk Seal world. In my own little corner , the Rabbit Island cast would turn out to be RIP, and and 15% molted, little brother , Mojo at the right end of the beach, with Sadie beginning at 3BS but relocating a couple of times through the day, ending up near where she started at the right end of the Middle Cliff area. Later on I would find Mikala at the far left end, and Duke right of 1BS. Good ol' M38 was around again today, and in "cruiser male" mode hauling out twice to Mikala, once to Sadie and then once to Duke, but RIP hauled out with him on that one, and a 3 rounder ensued before RIP did a technically perfect "end around move" and got prime position on Duke, leaving M38 to sulk 30 ft to the right.

On my 4th pass of Sandy Beach I found Right Spot on the sewer outfall at the far east end of the beach. On my 7th pass of Sandy Beach at 1120 I found that she had been joined by none other than Benny. They were spatting when I arrived, and Benny and the rising tide managed to get them both into the water at 1139, With Right Spot in the lead they would haul out again 60 ft west down the beach, at basically the location where Right Spot has spent 4 of the last 5 days. I redid the cordon and checked them hourly, redoing the ropes as required. They were still there on my 1500 check. I will return at dusk.

The other day I made a big deal about Benny being back at Rabbit Island when he had been in the SW quadrant the day before. I then reneged on that and said that I thought that Lona may have been the Rabbit Island animal. I think Benny's arrival today at Sandy Beach says that it probably was him at Rabbit Island that day. The boy is obviously in the area.

Team Billand reported Irma at White Plains at 0624.

I have recieved reports from both the Molokai end and the Oahu end, and apparently KP2 has been successfully relocated to the Aquarium. Hopefully, the front line participants will be sending stuff to da' blog, so check in the morning to get the latest.

When I arrived a Sandy Beach at 1810, Benny and Right Spot were just departing. I picked up the stuff and called it a day at 1830.

Mojo

Right Spot

Benny & Right Spot

No comments: