Tuesday, September 6, 2011

9-5-11 Team Billand Trek Ka'ena Point

Team Billand made the trek out to Ka'ena Point... Looks like they hit the jack pot as far as the number of seals in attendance.... However, it was one of those bittersweet situations where they discovered not one BUT TWO hooked seals.  Kerby and Noa.... (from what I understand Mr. and Mrs. Whisperer took a closer look at the photos from her trek yesterday.... and I think they determined Kerby's hook but not sure about Noa.  Once again the MONK SEAL ANGELS... are there at the right place, right time to report in on our beloved monk seals.

761 @ Ka'ena Point
 Ka'ena and Noa
 Ka'ena, Kerby and Noa
 Ka'ena Kerby and Noa - playing hooky.. (okay bad joke)
 Ka'ena 
 Kerby and Noa
 Kerby with hook... he should be use to this process by now, if I'm not mistaken I think this is the 3rd time he's been hooked... tsk tsk Kerby when you going to learn!!!
 On a personal note... Kerby holds a special place in my heart. He would be my first born... He was the very first baby monk seal I ever laid eyes on.  (of course this was through the scope on Makapuu Pier)

 OUCH - poor Noa
 Wonder if the two boys were our exploring together and came across an opportunity to some food off someone's line and got the whole line instead.
 T15 aka Sharkbite just cruising in the water
Now this guy is proof, the Hawaiian monk seals have an amazing ability to heal from some serious injuries.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

I finally got my Nieces and Nephews to go out with me to Kaena Pt. It was so fun to explore with them,but as we got to the point, our fun turned to SHOCK with the TWO HOOKED SEALS!! I immediately saw the 20 inch dangling 100 LB. test line from NOA. I made the dreaded call to Noaa. Then by the next hour or more, the second hooked seal shows up with Kaena and NOA. I was so upset to see this, TWO SEALS WITH HOOKS!!! I been told that Fishermen have their fishing rights, I understand that. But to have two hooked seals, oh my, WHAT RIGHTS DO OUR HAWAIIAN MONK SEALS HAVE???? I made the second call to NOAA, they were shocked as well. What do we do now???? In most cases, NOAA will not come out to dehook seals on rocks, got that. I understand that as well. I sat there observing the seals...NOA's hook was in and out of the cheek area on left side, line dangling at 20 inches. SO, when Noa moves, he steps on the line, tugging at the line, making the hole in his cheek, BIGGER. I felt helpless. Then the KERBY showed up, NEXT to NOa, it seemed he was concerned for NOA, and even Kaena moved in with concern. Both seals tried nudging poor Noa, but noa remained on the rocks. Seemed the two seals wanted Noa to leave with them. To the left of the three seals, three divers just off shore, came in just 20 feet from the seals. Two seals were so alert, as if protecting the badly hooked NOA. They started vocalizing at each other, NOA just wouldnt go. Both seals left, swam about NOA, came BACK. Nudged NOA again. Still he wouldnt budge. Well, both Kerby and Kaena left area. I never saw Kaena again, Kerby went to his pond, vocalizing the whole way, bobbing up and down, landing in a pond of his own. Still looking back at NOA. I made my way to Kerby to get a better look of the hook. Kerbys hook about an inch to two inches in size. No dangling line from the hook like NOA. He continued vocalizing...Folks gathered to view the two hooked seals, there must have been like 22 people out there, I stopped counting..there were lots of folks. I asked all to stay away and one guy offered to cut the line from NOA...he had a cutter. He was upset seeing the two seals hooked. I finally convinced the upset man, just let the seals be. But OH HOW I WISH HE DID CUT THAT FRICKEN LINE, so NOA could move better. Any ways, not good for a citizen to do that, we all left..even the good citizen. I didnt want to leave that area...Noa remained at the same spot the entire 6 hour visit.
I was blessed to find 761, thats who I wanted to see most of all, to meet her, and I did. So cool. But she was at a spot, not good for viewing and she stayed on the rocks, snoozing. For sharkbite, I took two treks down the cliff to ID him..FINALLY, it hit me when the seal turned to his RIGHT and i saw the healed wounds, always amazing to see.
We watched the fishermen get a huge ULUA near the 20 minute walk from YOKES, wow, big bugga.
My niece is 6 years old, my nephew at 10..they saw alot of seals for the first time, they saw the beauty of Kaena Pt. I thanked Carmen, their mother who decided to take the trip with me. I think they all will remember their trek to Kaena pt for years to come. They left before me, like 1/2hour they ran out of WATER..they were tired. I remained to get the id of the 2nd hooked seal.
I will say my prayers for the seals as usual, hoping one day, they will be safe from hooks, boat props, dogs, nets, HUMANS. I thank my family for going way out there with me...and I hope to return to Kaena Pt again..there is so much to observe...