Thursday, September 22, 2011

9-22-11 DB Dailies

My dollar was on finding Kaiwi alone this morning when we arrived at 0545, but D#42 found Mom and the kid snoozin' together , high on the beach. They would start a swim session at 0818. (sure glad you didn't bet marilyn and the cats on it ;-) 

To my surprise when I got to Spitting Cave, I found nobody. I did a Kokee Flats and "Fingers" check, but again found nobody. When I got to Makai Pier for my 0829 look at Rabbit Island I found only Ewa Girl (RS00) at the left end of the Middle Cliff. When I got back for round #2, at 1123 I found the usual U/F, and to my happy surprise, 30 ft to the left was Buster (RV08).

Team Billand checked in at 0900 with the report of RIP (RR70) at Maili Point.

The real highlight of the day came at 1145 with another call from the Billands. The WP lifeguards had reported a new arrival at Tower#1 at 1129. The Billands called at 1145 to confirm the animal as KERMIT !!!! Yep..... the boys is home, after a long off island vacation. He had last been seen on Oahu (Billands) on 6-4-11, at NIM. I had happened on to some underwater dive tour footage of Kermit off of Niihau after that, but today is his homecoming day. YEAH!!! Welcome home Kermit, just in time...your old flame is about to wean her pup. 

Dana checked in a 1015 with the report of Kekoa just hauling out at the Reef Runway. She said he appeared happy and well.

This afternoon posse member Jen Christian showed me video of an animal she had seen on a dive at Spitting Cave today. She had an animal there, but the footage was inconclusive. I went to SC at 1500, and did find an animal there ,but the afternoon glare was hideous and no ID(or even a decent look) was possible. Maybe tomorrow ????  I feel fortunate that I got to meet Jen on the beach... .and would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for sharing her underwater shots with us. 


U/F and Buster V08 
 Ewa Girl RS00
 Unidentified Swimming Seal @ Spitting Cave
 RIP R70 @ Maili
 I always think of RIP as a youngster... but being around so many pups... he's looking like an old man...  okay maybe just a mature boy. 
 He's BACK!!!!! Welcome home Kermit
I had just asked DB last week about Kermit... so happy to see him back on Oahu

1 comment:

Barbara said...

When we saw the green seal on shore at Plains, we knew right away, it was KERMIT!!!! He had been gone from Oahu for soooooo long. He holds a special place in our hearts, we been through alot of crap together. He is one of the most harassed seals I know. But the most layed back, been there, done that atttitude and I NO CARE. A gentlemen I always said, EVEN WITH IRMA. But the Benny took over the affair...tsk. tsk. And in my heart, I still feel BENNY IS THE DADDY of Kaiwi...he spent the entire time with her, while poor Kermit watched, hung around, hoping to be with his girl. NOPE..it was all BENNY.
He looks great, a little thinner than our last sighting of Kermit. But, he still seems just fine. And he still rolls, very S L O W L Y, down the sand, rather than galumphing, back into the water to leave. I love Kermit from day one. He tollerates alot of crap from humans, sorry to say. But he continues to return to White Plains all the time...it was a sweet find to see him on shore...but the thoughts of all the late hours with him, all the folks who harass him ran though my brains. And...YES, he is on schedule, to meet up with Miss Irma as soon as she weans Kaiwi, SMART YA KERMIT. And I expect the Benny to be showing up at Plains soon also. Those three, they seem to have this bond every year...so, we'll be waiting for all the drama to unfold...stay tuned..AS THE SEALS return home to Plains again...