Monday, September 19, 2011

9-19-11 DB Dailies

We found Irma (R010) and Kaiwi in snooze mode at 0545. They would do a couple of Tide Pool sessions, feeds (lots of feeds), and snoozes through the day.

At 0734 I found Buster (RV08) doing 9 minute dives at Spitting Cave.  The Rabbit Island cast for today was the resident U/F at the left end, Ewa Girl (RS00) once again back at the left end of the Middle Cliff, and Kolohe (RW22) cruisin' on the left side rocks of Seal Rock Inlet.

Posse member Toni Russ checked in from Ewa Beach this morning at 0657 with the report of an animal near her house. Her photos confirmed that it was Rocky (RH58).

The real highlight of the day came with a Team Billand call at 0842. They reported finding Noa (R6FI) at Maili Point, WITHOUT his fish hook !!! He had apparently done the job on his own. Their photos confirmed the absence of the hook.

An afternoon email from Karen Turner provided the daily La'akea update. She could see no hook. While it was wonderful, of course , to see La'akea, the real news came with her discovery of the adult female, RO28, just off shore of La'akea's location. Note the right side scar just behind the eye in her shots. Marilyn and I were just discussing the whereabouts of RO28. She had last been seen at the end of her molt (by Marilyn) on the way into Ka'ena Point on 8-20-11.


 Rocky @ Electric Beach  
 Noa @ Maili
 Hookless Noa
 Looking good Noa
 La'akea diving.... from Karen Turners report no sign of hook
 typical weaner pose
 Great shot... 
 RO28 passing by Turtle Bay

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Spotted Noa R6FI, trying to snooze on the rocks, but the waves were getting him. I sat there, noticing something was missing...THE LINE AND THE HOOK!!!!
HOLY CRAP, ITS A MIRACLE!!! NOA HAS TOSSED THE HOOK and the 20" leader line, HIMSELF!!! How awesome is that????
Ok after I gained my composure, I tried so hard to document the dehooking. Noa was struggling with the waves, I was struggling with the strong morning sun light, running from the high waves too. I found a good spot, waited for NOA to face the right direction, but it was too hard. I could only get a few shots of the left side of his face. And then the next wave got NOA, and he got knocked off the rocks. NO, NO wait...I need better photos!!! Oh well, thats ok. You all got to just trust my poor photos, and my witnessing, DA HOOK AND LINE IS GONE FOR REAL!!! I never saw NOA again...but I feel great to see..he is ok and DEHOOKED!!! The rest of the day, no more seals, but it was heaven any ways...Good luck NOA..I am so very proud of you...NOW, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE NASTY BUMBUCHA HOOKS..PLEASE!!! Also went back in late afternoon to find NOA, hoping to get a better shot, but, NAH, the bugga was a NO SHOW. THats ok, I'll try again today...Hope he shows up.
OK, got to do my happy SEAL DANCE NOW..Seal ya.......