Sunday, September 4, 2011

9-3-11 Reef Runway Report

Aloha good people....
I made the reef runway run this morning (Saturday) and unfortunately Ke koa was a no-show... I was really disappointed not to see him, since he had been rescued from a packing strap earlier this week.  I know there was an outing on Thursday but I didn't hear any reports if he was sited or not.....


The good news was Ewa Girl was there and well.... I had a little hard with her ID.... I made sure I got a picture of the tail tag... and I read 1A... then a worn off letter.. I know Ewa Girls tag is RS00... so she was the furthest from my mind... I put a call into DB... and somewhere in there I decided it was 2AW until DB reminded 2AW is a male and I knew I was looking at a female....  Oh well, I figured it out when I got home and updated DB.  I'll tell you this seal identification business is an art.... thank god I have my sensei... DB!


I walked for most the two hours I was out there and the only thing I came across was lots of debris.... lots and lots... of all kinds. Made me wonder where does all this crap come from... it's so random. I decided the ocean was regurgitating each evening, trying to rid itself of these foreign objects.  ( I took a lot of pictures and at some point I will post..... it's just too late for me to sort through them right now)....  


If anyone heard about Thursday's shift with Ke koa, please feel free to update.... ~da blog lady~



 Ewa Girl on a beautiful day... no sign of Ke koa
 Scratching a little
 Oh forgot to mention... spidie was still hanging out.... looks like the neighbors have either moved on or blown away.... as you can see spidie has a lot of debris attached to the web. The yellow was sooo bright today. Still have no clue what kind of spider and I hope I am never in a position where I HAVE to know what kind it is.

3 comments:

Dana said...

FYI, Kekoa's shift was posted with DB on Thursday. Eileen had to report, due to some car delays I had. The shift was canceled due to some inflight emergency at the airport but Eileen gave DB a full report on that day. In the meantnime, I made my way from Leeward to Windward to deliver fencing to DB. Eileen's report was in the dailies I received from DB.

Also, DB mentioned there was no Turtle Bay report yesterday. Wellllll,,,, I spoke to him at 4:23pm to report that Mom & Pup were in a swim session when I left them in the good hands of Glenn & Vera Cober. Training session at Turtle Bay was attended by 3 new volunteers and they have signed up to be mentored on site with some of our great guys.

Also dispatched Robert Keogh for ROCKY!!!!! Thankfully she was at her trough at Magic Island. A moment of panic when one report was that she was "on the beach" at the waters edge in the lagoon. Thankfully Robert's report was that she was in her normal place, in the trough, at Magic Island. Great picture of a female belly and beautiful Rocky from Robert forwarded along to DB. Report of Rocky's trough spot was a great relief to both of us. Thank you Robert.

Barbara said...

I spoke with Eileen, she spotted Kekoa sleeping at the boat we pulled a shore last Tuesday in the am. And Ewa Girl showed up late in the afternoon when Eileen did her check. All was good that Thursday.

I think if one of the four of us can not make the weekly shift, one should tell so, so maybe one of us can take the shift if possible. That way we can have a monitoring still going. Especially since finding Kekoa with the packing strap and all the debri we found out there. Just a thought...

Heide Joy Weber said...

Donna,
Could be a Writing Spider. Check this link: http://nl.treknature.com/gallery/photo182266.htm

Looks like they can have varying degrees of black and yellow on the abdomen. That gets them the other common name of Black & Yellow Garden Spider. & btw, not considered poisonous to humans.

Happy Labor Day!