Wednesday, September 14, 2011

9-14-11 DB Dailies

At 0545 we found Irma & Kaiwi doing a feed, 20 ft inside the east end fence, right where we'd left them last night. The spent much of the day in the tide pool directly fronting that location. I was back mid day to witness a feed. The pup is changing from the "red stage" to it's final coat. The belly has lightened considerably, and of course she is huge .

Lesley reported in from the Turtle Bay front to advise that Mom & Pup remain. Her photos will be on the blog in the morning, as usual.

At 0637 I found the same U/F that I've been reporting of late, once again 40 ft left of IBS on RI. I'd asked Tracy for an opinion, but she too can't see enough to make a call.  Also at 0637 I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) up in the Morning Glory, behind the U/F. He would move down, but was gone on my afternoon check. On my 0723 Spitting Cave check I found Buster (RV08) doing 8 minute dives.  On a return to Makai Pier at 0935 I found what would prove to be Nani (RK60) at Seal Rock Inlet.

At 1230 I got a call from Sandy Beach lifeguards reporting an animal just hauling out fronting the "Gas Chambers" break, which is at the Blowhole end of the beach. When I arrived at 1237 I found and cordoned off, KC (RK28). She has remained the rest of the day.

On the subject of KC. As regular readers know, she was see and photo confirmed at one of the Mokes, on 9-11-11. Day before yesterday (9-12) Lauray, who was on AD pup duty, was told by a passerby that there was an animal at the first estuary at AD. I checked an hour or so later, but found nobody. I naturally assumed it was Benny, since he had made an appearance that morning. Nope... Wrong.....Again ! I got photos from the guy (thru Lauray, and June) of the mystery animal. Lo and Behold it was ......KC !! The next day (yesterday) she was at Rabbit Island, and as previously reported today, Sandy Beach.

We picked up the stuff at the AD site at 1900, and then went to Sandy Beach to check on KC. She remains. We picked up the rope and left the signs. Good Luck KC !

My last contact for the day , with Lesley ,came aty 1849. She reported that R5AY and La'akea had entered the water a half hour earlier and R5AY disappeared. Weaned ??????????? The first shift will tell the tale.

KC from 9/12 @ Alan Davis Estuary 
 KC today 9/14 @ Sandy's Beach
 she's looking good.. not too thin... 
 glad it wasn't a busy day @ sandys

No comments: