Tuesday, September 6, 2011

9-5-11 DB Dailies

The Dawn Patrol was on it at 0550, to find Irma (R010)and Ka 'Iwi snoozin'. They would do two major swim session, a couple of hours , plus, long. They ended the day tucked up against the east end fence. We put out cones and rope temporarily extend the east end. It was tons of people, tons of surfers, some good, some not so good, and a lonnnnnnnnng hot day. Thanks to da' whole gang !!

I got in a quicky Rabbit Island check at 0825, finding Kolohe (RW22) and Duke(RA12) at the left end of the island.  On a morning visit to Spitting Cave at 0650, I found yesterday's U/U still and U/U. I still think its Buster , but ???

An afternoon saga began with a call from posse member Momi at 1416, advising of an animal trying to haul out at Kaupo Beach Park. While we spoke she said the animal was run off by tons of people on the water line, not allowing a haul out.   Several minutes later I got a call from Makapuu lifeguard posse member , Noah, reporting an animal hauled out at the left end of the beach, but totally surrounded by hordes of people. Before I could arrive Noah called again to say that the animal had departed.  I stopped at the Makapuu Overview to see if I could see anybody , and encountered two guys who advised that they had just seen a seal below the lookout, headed toward the point.

While at Makapuu Overview I checked Rabbit Island and found two animals playing in the water fronting Rocky Right Beach. I also so 7 idiots on the beach, from 3 different sources. I called DOCARE, knowing full well that an after 1500 call wasn't going to work, plus all officers were at the Kaneohe sandbar anyway. I contacted Ken, by best hope, but he couldn't get away from sandbar duty. Sad !

I got back to AD at around 1540, and at 1551 what do I see, but Benny coming from the Makapuu direction, and swimming the entire frontage of AD. He did not seem to notice Irma & pup. Lesley followed him on foot through AD, Irma's & Sandy Beach. I went ahead to Sandy Beach, and managed to get ahead of him so when he hauled out to the main beach at SB I had the equipment ready to cordon him off, barely beating the hordes. Benny remained until 1800. Departing of his own volition.

Barbara Billand did the Ka'ena Point trek today and found T15M, 761, Ka'ena, Kerby & Noa at the end of the world. Unfortunately, she also found that both Noa and Kerby have fish hooks on the left sides of the mouthes. NOAA has been notified.

Team Billand reported M&M at White Plains at 1505, and cordoned her off. Thank you Cobers for responding, and for the photos .

Karen Turner sent great shots from today with R5AY and La'akea at the Turtle Bay site.

I hope I got everything in there. I'm so pooped I'm not sure I remember all of it. You covered a lot of ground today Whisperer!  I will try to free up some time this week... Tuesday is already booked... I got to take the new kid to the vets for a checkup and make it to storage to free up some car space.



 Trespassers @ Rabbit Island - DOCARE had their hands full at the Sand bar and the Moke's in Kailua... which  WISH they had a couple extra guys to handle Rabbit Island.  Funny how people think they can just do what ever they want.... really getting tired of the sense of entitlement that ends up just being damaging to others.
 Kolohe, Duke and Nani  
 M+M almost finished molting
 Great shot Barb she looking very sweet
 And thank you Auntie Vera for following up with these beauties... M+M brushing her teeth LOL
 And now an appearance from our North shore mom and pup pair. R5AY and La'akea.
 Thank you Auntie Karen...
 Look at that NECK...  
 
 Haaa La'akea pretty much hides Honey Girl
 Simmer down small fry, I'm still the boss
 maybe.... maybe not
Gorgeous rainbow shot !  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect name for the young pup. She will either be a bundle of sunshine or a ball of fire:)

Anonymous said...

How about a monetary fine for landing on Rabbit Island??

Donna - President said...

There are fines for landing on Rabbit island... problem is, you need to get the DOCARE officers out there and they are extremely stretched... and once they are issued a ticket they have to go to court and often times, the person receives a slap on the wrist or a limited fine... Unfortunately we can have all the rules, laws, regulations, with out enforcement or the personnel to enforce it all means very little.