Monday, September 26, 2011

9-26-11 DB Dailies and MORE

The Dawn Patrol found Kaiwi already in her tide pool when we arrived at 0545. She remained in the water until 1030. She hauled out for a one hour rest and then reentered the tide pool, but swam to the east end of the fence line and then back to the tide pool. She was still in the tide pool when I stopped by at 1000. When I checked in with Diane at 1300 she was doing a partial haul out.

 At 0650 I found Buster (RV08) doing erratically timed dives at SC. At 0855 came the find of the day. When I arrived at Kaupo Beach Park, (across from the back entrance to Sea Life Park), I found Irma (R010) for the first time since weaning her pup on Friday. She was snoozin' on the rocks off shore of KPB. She remained there until the rising tide washed her off. I did not see her again today.

 After their little journey to Blowhole yesterday, I found Duke (RA12), and M&;M (R020) back at Rabbit Island today. Duke started at the left end, while M&M was at the right end. Duke would enter the water at 1104 and haul out to join M&M at 1120.

 Team Billand checked in at 0925 with the report of Kermit (R4DG) between Tower #1 and the east end fence line. He would relocate to Kalaeloa Campgrounds at 1045.

 Dera forwarded photos from Nicole, on Maui showing my little buddy Makana (RT24) on that island. Unfortunately the shots document the loss of the end of one of the large lobes on his Left Hind Flipper and his tag is also missing...... Bummer ! First a shark bite on the neck and now this. This boy has had a tough year, for a young dude.


Oh Yeah..... I forgot. Two dog walkers stopped by to say they'd just seen a seal in the estuary at AD, at around 1830, nearing dark. Marilyn, and visiting NOAA dignitary Tracy, walked down to check it out. The found a small animal in the water, with 2 red tags. Everyone's dollar was on Nani, but of course it's very un-NOAA to make that kind of assumption. Okay EVERYONE.... let's send a subliminal message to Ka Iwi to follow Nani.... they can be BFFs. Please Ka Iwi go and play with the other weaner and juveniles

Irma hiding out around the corner
 DB's backyard.... he really knows this place like the back of his hand
 Flipper squats
 Love the image.... great shot
 Big momma as skinny mini
 Makana on Maui..... When I first met him I thought his name should be lucky or survivor, don't know what the Hawaiian translation would be.
 Looks like he put on a little weight.... he's still tiny
Ka Iwi @ dawn in her tide pool 
  Duke 
 M+M and Duke
 Kermit @ White Plains
 Kermit you are in the wrong place for Irma
 Co-existing?

2 comments:

Diga said...

Beautiful shots of Irma and RI area!

So good to see Makana. He is a tiny guy but it appears good at getting out of tight situations. I hope whatever took his tag choked on it.

Diane

Donna said...

OMG Diane that made me laugh so hard I choked.... I so needed that laugh. Thank you and thank you for all your time and support. I am still laughing.