Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-10-11 Update from Reef Runway

Aloha good people,  I spent the morning out at reef runway checking in on Kekoa. Upon arrival at the birthing beach the only find was a few fresh wallows with pieces of fur.... it was clear someone was molting. I called into the office and Dera mentioned Ewa Girl was in fact molting and no need to collect any fur.  I made the trek towards the Diamond Head side of the beach, figuring it was going to be a bust.  I spent time scanning the shoreline and all was quiet... problem was I almost walked right up to Kekoa who was sound asleep at the shore break.  
I hung out watching him... this little boy was exhausted.... I watched the water wash over him, I even watched him attempt to move up the shoreline and he didn't open his eyes....  I was laughing because he looked like I felt....  If I had my way I would have been snoozing along side him.... 
He is looking very healthy, no nicks, no bruises, and nothing wrapped around him. He is a handsome boy... let's hope he stays healthy and strong.

 hmmm i guess i should move
 is this far enough?
 Zzzz ... hmmmm good enough for me
 and down i go
 He just couldn't keep his eyes open
 Okay here are a couple of pics with his eyes open
 Handsome dude
 Some company that flew in.... anyone want to tell me what kind of feathered friends they are?

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Very glad to hear ya saw the munchkin at airport. He is so handsome and ya done good in capturing his cuteness.
And the birds are ruddy turnstones. They are cute and seen alot at the shores around oahu.

Rachel S. said...

Yep! The ruddies are shorebirds that migrate down here for the winter (same as the kolea) and breed in Alaska. They are beautiful in breeding plumage - end up kind of drab during the winter though.