Thursday, September 15, 2011

9-15-11 DB Dailies and More

The first order of business was to check Sandy Beach at 0530. KC was no longer there. I picked up the signs and continued the adventure.  At 0545 we found Irma (R010)&Kaiwi on the beach at the east end of the compound right where we'd left them last night. Kaiwi was alert and antsy, and at 0614 both entered their tide pool for the morning swim session. When I got back a 1000 they were on the beach, doing a feed.

Lesley called at 0735 to advise that she had just heard from Karen Turner at Turtle Bay. She reported that La'akea was alone. Lesley's report of R5AY last night at 1849 departing was supported (D#48). Looks like we have a weaner.... one more to go!

On my 0800, Rabbit Island check I found the same U/F I've been reporting the last few days, at the left end of the beach. When I got back to Makai Pier at 1141,I found that Nani (RK60) had joined the cast at the far left end of the beach.

At 0834 I found Buster (RV08) doing 9 minute dives at Spitting Cave.

At 1028 "Jack at the Bay" called to advise that they had an animal on the left side rock flats at Hanauma Bay. When I arrived at 1043 I found Ewa Girl (RS00), 100% molted on the left end flats. She had last visited Hanauma Bay on 8-15-11, post weaning in the company of male, RE70.

Dana called at 1203 to advise that the Reef Runway was Monk Seal free. I advised her of the whereabouts of Ewa Girl. Eileen was going to do an afternoon check to see if Kekoa would show up.

The Billands had a late afternoon call from Dera about an Ewa Beach animal (possibly two), but alas they found nobody on arrival.


Irma and Kaiwi last of the nursing pups on Oahu
 Heading into for a morning swim
 Kaiwi is chunking up daily.... wow!
 I honestly had to stop and think... is this La'akea, she has grown sooo much
 Here's La'akea.... our newest weaner... 
 she found something
 The squawking seal!
 Good hunter
 Buster @ Spitting Cave
 A newly molted Ewa Girl @ Hanauma Bay
 

No comments: