Friday, September 30, 2011

9-30-11 DB Dailies

At 0545 the Dawn Patrol found Kaiwi (RK96) right where we'd left her last night, at mid beach, directly above her west end tide pool. She would enter the water at 0603, and would range as far as 100 ft beyond the east end fence, before returning to her east tide pool. She would haul out for a 2 hr snooze, at 0710. 
She would then enter the water, and would not return to the sand until she was crowded ashore for her tagging/transmitter procedure at approximately 1100. She is now officially RK96/97, and has a transmitter. Upon entering the water afterward she would once again range east of the east end fence, and then return to her tide pool. 
Since I was not an eyewitness to the procedure I will defer to one of the participants to give us a blow by blow. Check da' blog in the morning. 
On my 0841 Blowhole check I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) doing 7 minute dives. I would get the ID on my afternoon recheck at 1200.
At 1057 I found M&M (R020) on the rocks to the right side of Seal Rock Inlet on Rabbit Island, and Kolohe (RW22) behind the water front rocks at Rocky Right Beach. He was only visible from the Makapuu Overview.
On my return to Makai Pier at 1227 I found Nani (RK60) on the Waimanalo end of Left Point Beach.
At 1508 the Billands reported Rocky (RH58) at Nimitz Cove.
Team Billand checked in at 1702 to report Kermit (R4DG) at Maili Point. 

Duke @ Blowhole 

 NOAA Team briefing Camp Irma volunteers
 Meet RK96/97 aka Ka Iwi the latest iMonk
 Can you hear me now?
 Rocky @ Nimitz lounging in the rocks
 Mr. Kermit @ Maili
 La'akea RK82
 Weaner float
 monk seal skid marks
 Turtle Bay SPZ
 peek-a-boo
 a little lunch

1 comment:

Barbara said...

We done our searching, without finding not one seal. Bummers.
Decided to go to AD's after seeing the announcement in the Advertiser of Kaiwi and seeing the news too.
Arrived at AD's to find so many anxious volunteers, a waiting to see what was going to happen to Kaiwi. Who by the way was in the water, having a grand time, all by herself. I snapped away, hoping to get my personnal cute shots, WRONG. After viewing them, shots all sucked. Crap!!
I decided to take photos of this lady who looked like Tracy Worth, WRONG..I have no idea who the lady was in the photo. I also thought I snapped a photo of Dera Look with a bazooka camera, WRONG..no idea who that person was either. It's my cateracts..dam.
Ok, Noaa Team arrive..folks got a talk on what was going to be done to Kaiwi.
Next..NOAA ..David Schofield, Mark Sullivan, Dera Look, Greg Levine..THE DOC, along with Dr. Charles Littnann planned strategies. Also volunteers Lesley, Donna DA BLOG LADY, RObert and ME, were asked to boarder Kaiwi.
Next: Team walks in quickly, but quietly, creeping up on Kaiwi, who was in her little space in the water, resting on her belly. Team surrounds her, boarders up, I came around Lesley, hands opened, heart pumping, Kaiwi turns and looks at me with her big eyes and I was in AWE of her beauty. That face is remarkably pretty and spotless. Where is my Camera, I need my camera, NOPE, not allowed in procedure. DAM..I was right there with this fantastically awesome seal!!
Schofield taps Kaiwi's butt, she moves, he taps her again, she moved higher to safer sandy spot and BOOM!! Sullivan jumps on Kaiwi, the Procedure was on, she got her shot to calm her, blood taken, sample tissue, swabs from her da kine, Dr. Greg monitoring her heart rate. Next: Transmitter, chip and her new tags on...RK96/RK97... Finally..Procedure is done, we all back off..Dr. Littnann the last one on Kaiwi, he leaves, gently. Kaiwi is still, but she comes to her sences, charges for the water. She then swims her heart away from the humans, allllll the way east, passing her zone. She surfs in, catches a sea cucumber for lunch..and I ran to get my camera for some shots for my journal..but guess what..they all sucked too.
Bid all the volunteers farewell, said a prayer for Kaiwi, hoping her little life is full of adventures, and peace..OH MY GOSH, she is one pretty princess.
Rob and I went to SWQ again and finally found ONE SEAL..who was in a funny position, in a hole on the reef. Butt in the air, belly sucken in the hole of water, chin on the rocks. It was ROCKY RH58.
And we finally found KErmit R012 at Maili Pt. who was leaving by time I got there, but got a couple of ID shots. PHEW...
Lastly, I want to say, while at AD's, I truly missed seeing and chatting to DB..who was at other locations with his seals. God bless db.
Quite an interesting day of seals, I am most grateful for having the honor of helping with Kaiwi, didnt expect that, first time in four years and I was in heaven!!!! But bummed..I didnt have my CAMERA.

Good luck sweet princess of the sea.."KAIWI"..it was a pleasure to meet you face to face...an incredible moment for my soul, one I'll never forget!!!

Pau!!!