Monday, September 12, 2011

9-12-11 DB Dailies

At 0545 we found Irma (R010) and Kaiwi lolling in their favorite tide pool. They would later move out to swim and then haul out to the west end rock flats to do a feed and a snooze. There would be other swims, and feeds, with a haul out to the point of the compound.

On my morning check of Sandy Beach , at 0715 I found fresh wallows at the east end and a fresh trail to the water. I called the AD site to advise to be on the lookout for Benny. At 0800 he arrived. Irma had no problem keeping him at bay. I got a later call from posse member Lynne advising that a passerby at the pup site had mentioned seeing silver colored seal on the rocks at the AD point at the estuaries. I investigated an hour later, but found nobody. My dollar is on Benny.

On my 0742, Spitting Cave check I found Buster (RV08) doing 8 minute dives. I got to Makai Pier for abbreviated looks at Rabbit Island. At 1040 I found yesterday's U/F, still at the far left end. I still can't ID, but I can't rule out M&M. It has to go down as an U/F. I also found what would prove to be Kolohe (RW22) at SRI. There was another animal behind the waterfront rocks at Rocky Right Beach. I could only see a small sliver of a white belly. On my afternoon check that animal was no longer visible.

Karen Turner sent shots from Turtle Bay today. Thank You Karen !

In the Yesterday's News" department, I got shots from Jeremy Johnson, through Kelly Evans of Right Spot (R016) in the wilds of Kahuku yesterday. A friend of Colleen Heyer's daughter was on the Mokes yesterday, and Colleen forward shots of KC (RK28).

Though the Billands had no critters today, they still managed to have one of those typical Billand days. First , they couldn't get to White Plains because it was closed due to a live hand grenade found on the beach fronting #1708. Next the found an abandoned net at Nimitz Cove, where lots of animals haul out. The scooped the thing and got rid of it. Thank You Team Billand !!! Monk seal angels to the rescue!!!

Dera and I met with HPD at the AD pup site to do a Police Report on the fence destruction incident of Saturday night,which we found yesterday morning.

Irma, Kaiwi and Benny 
 Benny looks to Irma... ah come on is it time yet?
 Women! 
 Irma finally relaxes with Kaiwi
 Kaiwi putting on the pounds
 R5AY and La'akea 
 R5AY skinny mini
 I imagine mom isn't going to have much energy to keep this up for much longer.

1 comment:

Lesley - Mkt and Events said...

Dawn patrol did the daily fence moving. Today on the East side.
Marilyn went to work and DB left to do his rounds. He called me to say that he was at Sandy's looking at fresh prints. Angela and I were on the look for Benny, when she jumped up saying he's here.Benny is getting wiser or tired he came around the girls several times, but never very close. He did the attempt around the big reef and come over them but the tide was going down so he gave up. DB arrived back at the site as there was an exchange of barks and we lost Benny swimming into the glare.
It was beautiful to watch the full moon, dawn light then the sunrise all in less than half an hour. Aloha, Lesley