Thursday, September 1, 2011

Monk Seal Angels

It's hard to find the words of appreciation for these two people.... but based on Tuesday's events and our friend Val's comment to name Team Billand the Monk Seal Angels... I felt I needed to tell the rest of the story.

Most blog readers know Team Billand from their daily treks and great photos.... but I think we sometimes forget how many hours and miles they put in on a daily basis... I recently wrote a report for HMSRTO's last years work. One of the amazing things was beyond the 3,000+ hours, they actually travel over 16,000 miles looking and responding to seals. It was very sobering to look at these numbers.... and it doesn't end there because I know when they get home, they have their own family and pets to tend to, and then Barb sorts through the hundreds of photos.  


The other remarkable thing about them, is they have been responsible for bringing attention to abnormalities in the environment our seals encounter.... everything from medical waste on the beach to a 5 ton floater rolling around on the shoreline.... just take a look on the blog under the label "debris" ... that will give you a snapshot of what they have done in just the past year....


But I'm not finished yet... going back to Tuesday... After leaving the reef runway with the NOAA team who freed Kekoa from strapping around his waist and picking up all the debris.... they responded to a call about a stranded dolphin in Nanakuli.... from what I understand a call was made into the Hotline and a couple of people responded.... but in the end Team Billand was out to the site, took care of the situation until it was handed over to NOAA.  This just amazes me their ability to respond to whatever is needed, anytime it is needed just because its the right thing to do....  


I know they have the respect of the many folks over in NOAA/NMFS both PIRO and PIFSC.... and many of us as volunteers appreciate them as well.... So I agree with Val... they truly are Monk Seal Angels. With much love and blessings to you both.


 (photos are from 2009 with our friend Val, Barb, Rob and me).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly want to put my 2 cents in there on the subject of Team Billand. The really "got" my approach to dealing with critters, and took off so far above and beyond what I was doing that I stand in awe of what their daily lives entail. To say that I would be absolutely lost without them is a gross understatement. DB

Barbara said...

Oh My GOSH you guys are so nice and it brought lots of tears this am. I been reading stuff, looking at photos and ya know, this year from the first couple of days was marine debri..PERIOD! And it is still going on. I think in my life, I never saw things the way I do now. Each morning we hit the beaches, same as you all, and we find these things from Man on shore, off shore, and it bugs the hell out of my soul. For me, when I do see crap around, I want to take it off immediately. I dont want a cabbage patch for our seals to get killed in. When we saw all that debris at Reef Run Way, it scared me. And then to find FAT CHUBBY Kekoa in the packing strap...that blew my mind and my nerves. We all got to PAY ATTENTION HERE, so our critters can be themselves in peace.
But thanks you and DB for the words...it made me super proud of what we are trying to accomplish...a safe environment, keeping track of the critters, wheather they are injured, hooked, entangled, full of worms etc. THey all need our help and if we all try together, then our planet and our babies will survive. Ok, now I need to reread all what you both said about us old farts, cause it really feels so dam good to hear. I love being appreciated for what we do. Life is short and if one can make earth safer for all, then we all DONE GOOD. Its not about fame, its about doing something. Its about, listening to pleas, to see things one never saw, and to move forward and ACT NOW. One should never take things for granted either. Or One should never think oh, he'll do it, cause if we dont step in...then earth is dead, our critters will be dead. Like the saying goes, Extinction is FOREVER..
Again, all what was said here, brings such emotions to me. Wait till Rob reads this one today...WOW. THANK YOU DB and DONNA..you are also appreciated for all your efforts.
Hey the blog is a place I can voice my opinions, tell my fears or just show the world how special our seals are and how important each one is.
Ok, nuff said...I hope you understand how happy you all made me this am. God Bless you too...Oh wait, DB, you been at it longer than us old guys, so, you have brought the seals to us, in your daily observations and your delightful reports each day. Reading all about your kids, made me and Rob see, how important a job we got. Reading about your kids on R.I. and all the stuff you see is priceless and so entertaining I look forward to reading all about your days. And when you see the BAD GUYS out on R. I. I get steaming mad and I want to Patrol R.I....oh ya, right. Hey if we could we would. So you both mean alot to our Seal Family too.
So god bless you fine people for all you do too. DB, I am sorry you are stressing on Irma and Ka Iwi, you take at easy out there...I know you havent been to spitting caves, to Makai Pier yesterday...but your work out there with Irma and Ka Iwi is so appreciated, along with all the other folks too. I wish to put our name on that schedule, but, we got to cover our beaches on the west side and by time we are done its so late. So our visits are just when we do have time. We do want to be there too...just its so hard, and the miles is unreal...not to mention the gas. But hey its for our children of the sea...Right? Thanks again guys. B

Vera said...

Beautifully said. Barbara and Robert are doing what they love and what they are meant to do. They found their way to serve the world. You can be very proud of your journey and the many lives you have changed in such a positive way.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your dedication. It is because of individuals like yourselves that I am able to take my grandchildren tomsee with their own eyes nature at it's best