Monday, August 8, 2011

8-8-11 Waikiki Aquarium Loses Nuka

 Today the Waikiki Aquarium made the decision to euthanize Nuka after a long illness. It is always sad to experience a loss of a Hawaiian monk Seal.... but Nuka lived a long life, he was 31 years old and spent 25 years at the aquarium. He introduced many many many visitors to the Hawaiian monk seal and for years he was the only one many of us ever saw.  
I know the staff and crew took great care of him and spent endless hours caring for him in his better days and in his later days. My sincere thoughts are with all of them. I can only hope our monk seals in the wild get to live to 31 years. Below are links to the Star Advertiser and K5 News story. 
(if links aren't working - just copy paste in your browser)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/127265078.html


http://www.k5thehometeam.com/story/15232152/waikiki-aquarium-euthanizes-resident-monk-seal?clienttype=printable

 1980 - 2011

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Since hearing of the loss of Nuka, I been thinking back to when we had to care for KP2 (Ho Ailona) at the Waikiki Aquarium. He was in the tank next to NUKA. I listened to the sounds of the seal, I watched the care taker of NUKA, play ball with him. Feed him, LOVE HIM with her soul. I admired the beauty, between her and her seal, The care taker was so attentive and loving with Nuka. I wished we could have taken a look in that tank so many times, while observing KP2. I listened to KP2 react to NUKA's voice...he'd jump high in the tank as if trying to peek at him. We were told not to have any contact with NUKA and that wish was obeyed at all times. But I still watched whenever that care taker came...just a real touching scene..a lady and the sickly seal. He will be missed, that great bellowing monk seal known as NUKA. He lived a very long life and touched so many kids and adults. God bless you sweet NUKA, and you will never be forgotten. Even if I never touched you, you TOUCHED MY SOUL.

Diga said...

I have the same memories. I so wanted to see the seal with the deep voice but I respected their wishes and also the caregivers. Diane

LAURAY said...

I used to volunteer at the aquarium and would always stop by and see Nuka before and after my shift. Nuka had a long life filled with many who loved him. He will be missed.

Lauray