Wednesday, August 10, 2011

8-10-11 DB Dailies

The Irma Quest began at 0540 when I found Irma (R010) waiting for me, right where I'd left her last night, at the east end of Sandy Beach. I redid the cordon and continued the mission.

When I got back to Sandy Beach at 0726, after my Spitting Cave check, Irma was gone. Eyewitnesses said she had departed of her own volition 3-4 minutes before my arrival. They said she had headed out and west. I did 20 minutes at BH, hoping to see her foraging, with no result, and then checked Irma's and AD's, again with no results.

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0604, from MO, I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) up in the Morning Glory behind Seal Rock Inlet on RI. When I got down to Makai Pier at 0612, I also found Kolohe (RW22) tucked into the base of the cliff at the Waimanalo end of Left Point Beach.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0945 I found that Duke and relocated to the left end of the beach, and I found what would later prove to be Mojo (RI17) just hauling out to the left end of the beach. I'd last seen him on RI back on 3-30-11. Since then he has been a Molokai boy. He was a genuine pain the the butt today, having words with both Kolohe and Duke, and doing battle with both. He would reenter the water at 1200, and haul out again at Seal Rock Inlet at 1217, after galumphing down the beach at that end , he would reenter the water and once again haul to rejoin Duke and Kolohe at 1230. This time he was better behaved, and spent the rest of the day with the other two with no problems.

This was the first day since weaning that I did not see Nani. With Mojo running around being Mr. Testosterone, I'm hopeful that she found a hiding place away from all that "Macho".

Colleen (she is back !!!!) checked in from Diamond Head, certifying the place Rocky free for the first time in many days. On the 1800 check Rachel found Rocky !

Dera called called at 0805 with the report of an U/U at Crozier Dr. , Mokuleia. Dana called at 0944 to advise that volunteers had confirmed RI37 by tags, and posterior scar.

Team Billand checked in at 0907 to advise that Benny (RE74) was at LahiLahi, Makaha. They would later called to advise that he had moved about 300 yds further to the west.

"Jack at the Bay" called at 1319 to advise that one of thier Hanauma Bay customers had reported having a close encounter of the Monk Seal kind, at an unspecified time in shallow water at the far right end of HB. Jack checked the bleach, and I was observing from the upper overview for 30 minutes. I never saw anything, but this is known Irma country.

I did an afternoon Spitting Cave check, just in case since its only a few flipper flaps around the corner, but found nobody. I returned to Makai Pier at 1500, and found the cast was the same.

On my way home, I found what would prove to be Irma, fully visible from the road at Irma's, at 1518. She had not been there when I went by at around 1455 on my way back to the pier. I cordoned her off, and she remains. I picked up the rope at 1945. Irma remains.

Lesley checked in , in the afternoon from TB with R5AY&Pup, on D#13. She said that Karen Turner and Diane Gabriel had been working today, so I'm awaiting photos at this writing. Stay tuned , or check the blog in the morning. (no word from the Wednesday's TB crew at this time, maybe in tomorrows yesterday's news)

Kolohe, Mojo and Duke 
 NOAA's OLE fancy boat... Patroling the waters 
 Kolohe Mojo and Duke
 Irma  @ Irma's ... where oh where is this big momma going to go!!!
 Benny @ LahiLahi Makaha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to catch the NOAA OLE craft out there. It would be kind of cool if they could patrol more often. Thanks for helping out guys.