Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami Evacuation and No Internet Access

Hello Good People

Well I am relieved we dodged another tsunami threat.... After living here for 13 years and having gone through this twice now, it is not fun and probably shaves a year or two off my life.  I was one of the folks along with many others that had to evacuate last evening. This meant packing my mom, the dog and myself up and heading over to my brother's house to wait out the storm (so to speak).... Of course I packed my laptop with full intentions of updating the blog and staying in touch with folks via the Internet... but no such luck.  Seems my brother decided to change his Internet service provider YESTERDAY.... and had no service last night.   Oh well, its not often that I miss a blog posting, but I suppose tsunami evacuation is a good enough excuse... well maybe. 

Thank goodness we are safe...
da blog lady

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I understand how you felt gathering belongings and your mom, the dog to evacuate. In 1982,my Parents had to evacuate, but, the word got out too late to leave the house. My parents and sister had to be rescued by the Police, my mom had to be piggy backed out of the house as she didnt know how to swim. The waves kept coming in, hitting the cops trying to rescue my family, but, with determination all got out and into the squad car, only to be hit by another wave, spinning the car around. THat cop, floored the gas and some how made it out with my family and up to higher ground. In 1992, Mom and sister left the house, drove to the Makaha Resort, rented a room for the family and waited out the storm. While the winds were so strong, it blew out the huge glass doors, Family made it out.
In 49 years, living out in the country, we had so many evacuations..Now we just pack up early and leave our animals behind with great concern and worry, its what we got to do..leave early, get to higher ground. So, this last evacuation, since we all live across the beach, we go to Kapolei and wait for 8 hours. We're together and its easier to be together, we're safe. But the worries never go away...wondering if our home will survive another tsunami, or hurricane. For the list of stuff to take, yourself and family, no animals, medications, some snacks and clothes for five days,important documents. So yes, I do understand about evacuating worries. And in 1982, Mom & Dad lost their house, cars, but my Dad restored his KOA furniture, we washed all the clothes, they lost all their just bought meats in the big freezer, but...they lived to tell the story of that Great Hurricane Iwa. And Mom and Dad lived with us for one year til the new house got built. And then, the contractor took the money and never built my parents house on the lot..that was another issue...Life can be TUFF.

Donna said...

Barbara, Amazing! I did think of you and Rob... I should take some lessons from you.

Honestly you have some amazing stories, such history that many of us are unaware of. Thank you for sharing... and it just makes all you do more special.

xoxo
da blog lady