Friday, March 11, 2011

3-10-11 DB Dailies

On my first 2 looks at Rabbit Island I found nobody, so at 1053 I decided to check Spitting Cave at 1053. To my complete shock , for the first time ever, I found an animal snoozin' on the rock flats just to the side of the cave. It would turn out to be RB16, one of Val and Diane's young girls from Molokai. I got the initial ID by her L9 bleach. I knew if I kept checking Spitting for enough centuries, some day I'd find somebody hauled out there, instead of just foraging. Today was da' day ! She was still there when I departed at 1730. B16 is a 3 1/2 yo. old female born on Molokai. She was first seen on Oahu on 4-4-10 by the Kenyons at Ka'ena Point. A few months later she returned to Oahu and I found her on 8-11-10 at Pele's Chair, at the Alan Davis Estate. A few days later on 8-16-11 (I think DB means 8-16-10, since august 2011 hasn't happened yet) I found her again at the cove at the back entrance to Sandy Beach. That was her last documented Oahu visit. She is seen regularly on Molokai.

Back at Rabbit Island I finally found a critter when Kolohe hauled out to 1BS at 1252. He had the place all to himself today.
Colleen called at 0951 to advise of an animal down the beach at the Black Point end of Diamond Head
beach. She cordoned off, and confirmed Irma at 1015.

Team Billand found 2AW at Tracks at 1006.  At 1114 they found Benny at WP.

On a check of Ewa Beach at around 1600 they noticed an animal way down the beach from there location. When they got to Access #187D, at 1700, they found that the animal was no longer there. A witness said that it was there overnight, and had just departed at 1630. The signs were still in place from yesterday's Rocky haul out so chances are excellent that Rocky overnighted.

Dera called at 1130 with the report of an animal at Crozier Dr in Mokuleia. Dana called at 1617 to advise

that Kelly Evans had responded and confirmed the KC ID. Kelly also checked in a few moments later to give me that info. Per Dana, KC departed at 1846.
Kolohe
Irma @ Diamond Head
L9 RB16 @ Spitting Cave (young female from Molokai)

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, I can appreciate your taking of all the photos with this cute, plump B16. She is a cutie. Wow, I love the awesome beauty of spitting caves...breath taking. How in the world she chose to lay at that spot is remarkable. And your deligent searching paid off after all those times...LOOKING. AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Donna said...

So taking a closer look, how high up is she on the ledge? It appears she made her way up pretty high from the shore line.. and this was before any surge in the waves.

Val said...

Those Molokai chicks are SMART seals ;)