Monday, March 21, 2011

3-20-11 Response to Stranding on Kailua Beach

I responded to a call this afternoon about a stranded whale/dolphin on Kailua Beach... it took me 2 minutes to get out of the house and down to the beach.... (Now mind you I am thinking whale... even dolphin easy to spot)... I started scanning the area and didn't see anything, I even asked a runner if she saw anything. Finally while I was walking along I saw a small group looking down.  So I ran up to the area and there was a very small calf. (I thought whale although I didn't know for sure or what kind). 
After a short time, DOCARE showed up and shortly after that Dr. Kristi from HPU and David Schofield NOAA/NMFS arrived on scene.The DOCARE officers moved the small calf to the street while we waited for the truck from HPU to arrive. While waiting Dr. Kristi and David did some initial poking and educating the kids. They were very interested and of course there were lots of giggles when David's anatomy lesson pointed out this was a male.

Dr. Kristi confirmed it was a melon head calf probably still nursing and yes a little boy. Beyond that we don't much else at this time. For me it felt good to jump out and respond.... but this is one of those calls that really hits hard. I did have an opportunity to sit for 30 minutes alone with the animal and said my own little prayer for such a young critter who never had a chance. As hard as it is to respond to these calls it makes me realize how important a role we all play in the bigger picture. I am proud to be a associated with such a great group of volunteers. ~da blog lady

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Proud of you Donna and a volunteer rescue job well done. I'm sure your prayers were heard now it's up to GOD and those educated enough to help this little one. You were his Angel that was chosen to help and educate those around you until he could be picked up. You did a wonderful job and on top of all the other countless volunteer projects you do...thank you for helping this calf today. Please keep us posted as to what happens with him. You are one "Special Lady" !!