Saturday, September 22, 2012

9-22-2012 DB's Dailies: Nani, 2 U/U @ RI, Irma&Kermit@IR, M&M@WP, R5AY&Pup, La'akea@TB, T21M


At 0530 I found Irma (R010) waiting for me , still within the signs. I redid the rope, and continued my journey, checking her many times thru the day. Charles and a German film crew spent time there, making Irma an international star. Her D#3 molt is 25%.

Irma had a quiet day for the most part, but at 1422, Kermit (R012) arrived. There was just minimal interaction. Kermit settle into snooze mode rather quickly. Kermit would depart between 1600 & 1700. Irma remained when I picked up the rope at dark.
I did multiple Rabbit Island checks through the day, and was batting zero, until my 1447 recheck from the Makapuu Overview. From there I could barely make out slivers of body visible behind the water front rocks, at Seal Rock Inlet, and Rocky Right Beach. An ID was impossible, and they were completely invisible from Makai Pier.

The Highlight of my day came at 1500, at Makai Pier when I discovered NANI (RK60), in all her tiny greeness, snoozin' on the the beach front incline on the Waimanalo end of Left Point Beach, RI. I have not seen that little girl since 6-28-12. To say that I was overjoyed at the find, is a gross understatement.
Team Billand called at 0600 with the report of M&M (R020), fronting #1708, White Plains. They are now certain that she has begun her molt.

Dana called at 1003 to report that Karen Turner had been with R5AY&Pup at Turtle Bay today (I'm still not gonna' bet any cats on sex just yet, but thanks for the shot Karen). She also strolled down the beach and found La'akea (RK82) at the "elbow".

Clay Gates called the Billands with the report of T21M at Iroquois Point at 1435.

There are 2 "Yesterday's News" items. First of all Zeeny sent grrrrreat shots of RL42) at the Mokuleia pup site yesterday.
Yesterday two animals were reported at Sunset Beach. The photo showed a definite KC (RK28), and an animal with a transmitter behind her, which I could not ID. Conversations with Tracy, and Charles today, confirm that it was RK36, a Kauai male, that you may recall reading about a few months ago when he was brought to Oahu for hook removal, .at the same time the T15M ordeal was playing out. His first trips were via the Coast Guard but this time he did it for love, following KC home, after she weaner her pup.

 Irma peeling away
 German film crew, Dr. Charles bringing some international attention to our monk seals
 Kermit on his way to find his Irma
 Irma and Kermit 
 Okay bathing beauties of the seal and human kind
 Nani!!!! Welcome home baby girl
 R5AY and pup's belly... DB won't bet the cats.... Anyone want to take a guess. I am going to say Boy....  
 La'akea 5AYs baby girl
 RL42... okay this little munchin is getting too curious.... does this barrier still need to be up? Tough call I know but this is potential entanglement issue?
 I'll just chew my way out..... silly girl
 What's that noise.... oh that was me chewing
 The RL42 donut curl
 Diane re worked the perimeter
 heavy labor
 T21M white bleach mark in the middle of her forehead
 MM protected by the orange forcefield
 Is her fur peeling on the top of her head?  Molting?
 Hello young man
 I said... hello young man!
 MM prefers the taste of the orange signs


1 comment:

barbara said...

Having M and M at white Plains isnt the ideal spot to molt, RIGHT AT THIS SMALL BEACH SPACE WHERE HUMANS PASS CONSTANTLY. And when the tide is high, she goes all the way up to the fence of this cabin.
We are supposed to leave a foot path, but, man, having her so close is a major problem. And then, there are these folks who STOP and talk to the seal, just 6 feet from her. M and M is very alert, will posture, look right into these folks eyes for a cutesy shot. We made a sign, hoping to discourage folks from standing in front of the seal. I mean, its crazy to be that close...we are trying so hard to keep M and M safe, quiet, so she can molt and get the heck out of here.

We have little ones who want to enter the zone, THAT IS SO SPOOKY. We are trying to prevent someone from getting bit...YIKES!!!

We advise the cabin folks to give the seal space for her molting session and they are very good about our pleas.

I hope M and M our dear sweet, bulgy eyed Princess of the sea, MOLTS FAST!!!!! She is one pretty seal who never misses anything...she is constantly watching all the people passing her...EVERY DAY. How can she rest in peace? I guess I really wouldnt like folks at my bed side, in my face, taking photos all day long. But, what can we do....seals do what they do. And they tollerate alot of crap..DAILY.

We keep waiting for DA BENNY to show up, but he dont. I think he has found a quiet spot to MOLT himself. But, who knows where the TERRORIST is???? He will be around...SOON..for some DRAMA/Trauma scenes....SOON!!!!

One last stuff...M and M dont like the orange signs, nor the cones. We removed the signs from in front of her perimeter, she will bite them and pull it out of the earth as you can see. So we just added the cones to hopefully KEEP FOLKS OUT OF THE CLOSE...ZONE. We dont even put out the ropes in this area, fearing she will get entangled. M and M is quite a character...a TITA. But we just love her..Period!!!!