Wednesday, September 19, 2012

9-19-2012 DB's Dailies: Duke&Kolohe@RI, Irma,Benny,Buster&Kermit@SB, M&M@WP, RIP@Maili Pt, Rocky@IRQ, RL42,R912&Ka'ena@Mokuleia


At 0530 I once again found Irma (R010) and Benny (RE74) waiting for me at "Alice's, Sandy Beach. I'm happy to report that Irma has begun her molt (D#1 1%). Buster (RV08) would attempt a pre-dawn raid, but once again Benny ran him off. He did a couple of late checks but did not attempt a haul out. Benny would depart at 1015, and was not seen again today. A surprise guest arrived at 1549. Kimo reported the arrival and when I got there at 1555 I confirmed that it was Kermit (R012). He would depart at 1633 and was not seen again today. There was only one 'bad guy" all day. There always has to be somebody who just won't play the game. DB - was anyone able to determine whether Buster still had a fishing line attached to him?
I only got a quick look at Rabbit Island today, but found Kolohe (RW22) at the left end of the beach, and Duke (RA12) at the right end. I could not see Aukai from the pier , and the Makapuu Overview was closed today.

At 0723 Gayle reported Kaiwi (RK96) at Lanai Lookout.

Team Billand reported M&M (R020) still fronting #1944, at White Plains.
Team Billand found RIP (RR70) at Maili Point at 1537.

Vera Cober was up at the Mokuleia site today and reported RL42 to the left of the enclosure, and a bit down the beach were R912, and Ka'ena (R040).

Vera called again at 1419 to advise that her hubby and reported Rocky (RH58) at Iroquois Point.
 
Irma and Benny
  Irma - "I go to pieces"
 Benny
 Kermit and Irma 
 Kermit groveling after smoozing with M&M
Kermit " Pahleeze Irma"
 Kaiwi @ Lanai lookout
 M&M at  white plains
 Sweet face
 ahhh shucks
 here this is my good side
Team Billand outreach.  This is a great idea, but how does it hold up in the rain?
RIP <-- I just decided I don't like it all in caps  .... Something seen on a tombstone
 Mr. Rip is resting
 Ka'ena and R912 
 Ka'ena
 R912
 Rocky @ Iroquois


7 comments:

barbara said...

Every day being we are out on the beach from 6am to 6pm, we think of ways to reach folk of all types. WE came up with this board which works wonders with all humans. Even those that are so curious about the seals, but, dont stop to ask questions...it works nicely. Folks come by, read the sign, discuss it amongst themselves, or if they need more information, we will answer best we can.

And No it dont hold up in rain, but never fear, I will rewrite something else, as, I have a 30 second memory. And I no care, cause, signs, people will take a photo of it, SO THEY CAN REMEMBER TOO. At first we would take it home after a long day, but, we found out, folks walk the beaches at night for crabs and stuff, fishing as well, so we just leave the sign up, 24 hours.

And its fun to watch children read the sign. Some times the younger ones cant make out the words, or pronounce them...but they get the general messages. And thats great.

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher at a local school.
The sign is a good idea but it is too hard to read.Too much info, too little writing, too cluttered...My students would not go past the first sentence.
I know a lot of adults who wouldn't go pass the first line either. Too uninteresting!

Diga said...

I would have to disagree with the teacher. If someone is interested in knowing more about this seal or monk seals in general they would read it. I personally think the content is very interesting. If you're not interested, then it doesn't matter how many or few words you put on the sign. We have many professionally made signs with that are sparsely worded and include pictures that appear to be totally ignored. Diane

barbara said...

Oh Diane, I love you!!!!!!!!!!

Well said and You are absolutely...RIGHT!!!

Anonymous said...

With that attitude I certainly won't be inviting you to come to my school and teach my kids.
Good luck!

Donna said...

People are free to express their feelings here on the blog, as long as we all remain respectful. To the ANON teacher, I don't think Diga, or Barbara meant anything by their comments other than expressing their experience.

As someone who studied graphic design many moons ago I know there are "rules" for getting your message across in a sign... but honestly being out in the field with the monk seals you would be amazed how people react... they tend to be more interested in the personal handwritten signs than the "official professional" signs.

Again please don't take this conversation and make it into something about whether teaching children about the monk seals comes down to a difference of views.

Also it's know that typing a message often makes the tone of a message different than what is intended. just my nickels worth.

Diga said...

I reread my post to see what would prompt the response about my attitude. I guess it was using "you're not interested" instead of "someone is not interested". I was not attacking you, I was just saying most people don't read signs in general unless they are interested in the content. I really don't understand what that has to do with teaching children about monk seals. We are all volunteers who spend many hours of our time educating people out on the beaches because we care about the survival is this endangered species. I hope you can appreciate that. Diane