Wednesday, August 15, 2012

8-15-2012 DB's Dailies:

At 0635 I found Ewa Girl (RS00), and Duke (RA12), once again together at Left Middle Cliff, Rabbit Island. When I got back to Makai Pier at 910 they had both moved down to cool off amongst the rocks at the water line. They would remain there all day, with no observed interaction.
 
Also at 0910 I found Kolohe (RW22) up in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1BS on RI. I'd last seen the boy on 8-3-12. It was good to see him back home. He too would move down to cool off, and remained all day.
On a pan at 0910 I found Aukai (RL12) snoozin' on the water front rocks, 40 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet on RI. She would enter the water at 1007, and haul out again at Seal Rock Inlet at 1129, where she spent the rest of the day.
Team Billand checked in at 0555 with the report of Pohaku (RO28)
Vera Cober called at 1444 with the report of Rocky (RH58) near Access 186B, Ewa Beach.
There are omg days and then there are OMG days, but my 1704 call from Tracy was a definite O.........M........G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! moment. I've been truckin' and trekkin' out here in the SE quadrant on the Irma Quest, ever since she was at Kaupo Beach Park on 8-8-12. Tracy called at 1704 with confirmation that Irma (R010) was seen today at Mahalepu Beach on the southeast corner of Kauai !! Oh yes........ and KC (RK28) is also somewhere on Kauai. I've known Irma since 2001, and couple of times in those years she has disappeared, only to be seen again later in the Ka'ena Pt to Makaha area, indicating that she had probably gone northwest, at pupping time. I'm not convinced that Irma is pregnant this year, but no matter whether she is or not, the girl is on Kauai !!! Personally, I think she went just to bring Kermit back to Oahu, but Only Irma Knows !!
 
One of the things I love about having this blog is sharing information like DB just shared (that Tracy shared with him). Since the blog started there have been several times one of our Oahu regulars is spotted on another island. But I realized tonight, as much as I love that, I get a bigger kick out of DB's reaction.  The simple fact he has been at this for so many years and still has OMG moments..... priceless!!!
 
Lesley came through with Mom & Pup shots from Mokuleia today. The kid is filling in the wrinkles nicely.
 
Ewa Girl and Duke 
 Pohaku RO28 
 okay sweetie... you look great time to move on
 There is a huge island that awaits you... plenty of other beaches to visit
 
 As much as everyone loves you.... you need to find a quieter beach
 R912 and Pup... As noted she is filling out her wrinkles
 Momma
 MOMMA
 Momma are you awake?
 Nice... I'm awake and the kid is sound asleep

2 comments:

barbara said...

Remember Chester? How long did he take to move on after his molt? Every seal is different in starting and in finishing. This will be day 21 for R028. I still feel the need to protect her from humans. Its just the way it is.

She will move on, and then perhaps we may never see her again. As we all know, seals come and go in our lives...some disappear forever.

Rob and I will continue our education to visitors with our Pohaku, she so deserves our help like all the other poor monk seals, looking for a SAFE haul out. I cant abandon her...look what happened to HER MOMMA guys...I promised Pohaku, we WILL PROTECT her as long as we can.

We need to work together, team work goes along way, I know that.

Makaiwi took 40 days to leave Nimitz...we STAYED. It was a long journey with her. Now she resides on Big Island..perhaps never returning to Oahu. But I do know, we did all we could to make her safe. This Pohaku sooo reminds me of Makaiwi in many ways.

Thanks to those who are helping out..you are all appreciated.

Donna said...

Hi Barb,
Chester was on Kailua beach for 26 days.... although it took him 11 days to start his molt, and it was a slow molt too. I think when he left he wasn't completely finished.

I think Pohaku is enjoying your company. As difficult as it is, just think about all the people who are learning about the monk seals.

Hard work yes.... glad there some folks out there helping. REMEMBER take care of your eyes... Wish I lived closer.