Tuesday, August 14, 2012

8-14-2012 DB's Dailies: Aukai,Ewa Girl&Duke@RI, Buster@SC, Rocky@EB, Pohaku@Sec.Bch, 2aw@Maili Pt

On my first look at Rabbit Island, at 0645 I found Ewa Girl (RS00), once again waiting for me at Left Middle Cliff.
When I got to Spitting Cave at 0722 I immediately saw Buster (RV08). He was once again patrolling the area, doing 10 -12 minute dives. He was still there on my 1314 recheck.
When I got back to Makai Pier at 0950, I found that Ewa Girl had moved down near the water line, and in the spot where I'd seen her this morning, was Duke (RA12) , her #2 Rabbit Island son. He would later move down to cool off, and remained in close proximity to Mom , but there was never any observed interaction.
On a pan at 1024 I found Aukai (RL12) just hauling out, 50 ft right of 3BS. She would reenter the water at 1123, only to haul out again at Rocky Right Beach at 1149, where she remained the rest of the day.
Dana called at 0655 to advise that Pohaku (RO28) was still at Secret Beach, KoOlina.
Toni Russ called at 1223 to advise of an animal in Ewa Beach. Toni's shots as well as those provided by Vera Cober, confirm the Rocky (RH58) ID.
Team Billand was out and around, and reported 2AW at Maili Point, at 1604.
 Duke and Ewa Girl (mom & son) 
 Aukai
Buster @ Spitting Cave
 RO28 @ secret beach
 squeaky clean!
 amazing how young they look after a molt
 Rocky rockstar... probably start molting any day now
 a molt and then back to her full figure
 2AW @ Maili
2AW

1 comment:

Dana Jones said...

Us West Siders are about over this molt business. Pohaku is treating this like a pupping event. I'll have to look at Rocky's history to know what the volunteers are in store for. Right now they are tired and burnt out. 20+ days with hundreds of people a day, literally hundreds...... Rocky, not sure what you have in mind, just be gentle.