Monday, August 27, 2012

8-27-2012 DB's Dailies: Duke,Aukai&U/M@RI, Buster@Bamboo Ridge, Rocky@IRQ&EB, Kerby@Maili Pt, Kekoa@RR, Pohaku@KoOlina


The morning was spent dodging rain squalls, for Kimo, Gayle and I. Fortunately, the day improved. Kaiwi and Buster were MIA on the initial checks. I decided to check all the roadside pull offs along Bamboo Ridge between Lanai Lookout and Blowhole. At the first pull off east of LL , just like had the vaguest clue what I was doing, Therrrree was Buster (RV08) directly below me, foraging, in slow travel mode. Despite looking for him many times at many spots through the rest of the day. I did not see him again. Kaiwi was not seen today.

On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 0953 I found a 100% molted Duke (RA12) at the mid Middle Cliff area. He would be joined at 1255 by Aukai (RL12). They remained there together the rest of the day, with minimal interaction.

On a pan at 1024 I found an U/M at Seal Rock Inlet, on RI. He never gave me a lot to work with, but it was a definite male belly, and I never saw hind flipper tags, after several flipper flexes. On 4 head or face scratches I think I may have seen a small natural bleach on the animal's forehead. More info is required but I'm hopeful that this might the be the UU seen by the Billands in Maili Pt on 8-16, and Marilyn and Lesley at Ka'ena Point on 8-17. When I know, you'll know.

Team Billand called at 0639 advising that Clay Gates had reported that Rocky (RH58) overnighted at Iroquois Point. Vera Cober would call to advise that Rocky was gone on her 0815 check. At 1500 the Billands would report Rocky at Acess 186B, Ewa Beach.

At 0934 Team Billand reported Kerby (RW08) at Maili Point. He had last been seen on 8-11 at KP by Marilyn.

Dera checked in at 1213 to advise that posse member Eileen had called with the report of a very funky lookin' Kekoa at the Reef Runway. His molt is near.

Team Billand called at 1628 to advise that Pohaku (RO28) had been newly reported somewhere at KoOlina. She had apparently been there all day, but only now the report came in. The search begins. Apparently April Tavares found her at Secret Beach at 1800. She departed at 1840. Thank You April. The recent KoOlina training seems to have missed the mark I'd say.

Vera Cober called at 1220 while on R5AY&Pup duty to advise that she had found La'akea (RK82) right where she has been the last couple of days, just TB side of Kahuku Point.

Zeeny sent photos from yesterday, of La'akea, R5AY&Pup, and also shots of R912&Pup at Mokuleia. Today is D#34 for R912&Pup. Zeeny's shot of the pup's belly has finallly made a believer outta' me. You heard it here last......definitely a female !! Her shots also show clearly that the pup's coat and mussle are beginning to change. The mussle is turning white and the coat is definitely in the red phase.

Diane Pike checked in from the wilds of Molokai to provide a shot of RM38 and his new bling. A 5 year old male RB02 has also gotten a Critter Cam.


 RM38 going for the best camera crew at this years Hawaii film festival  
 Kerby @ Maili
 He came back to visit Team Billand
 

No comments: