Tuesday, March 6, 2012

3-6-2012 DB Dailies:


It was a miserable day out there, as I'm sure all will agree. Gayle did a couple of Spitting Cave checks (nobody), and I did a pass through the rest of the SE quadrant, but found nothing until my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 1228. There I found Kolohe (RW22), at Seal Rock Inlet, and an U/U 40 ft left of 1BS. At 1252 I became aware of a partially visible animal behind the dunes, left of 1BS. At 1426 Nani moved down, allowing the ID. She interacted a bit with the U/U, but since that animal was in a crabby mood, Nani entered the water.
Unfortunately that was the extent of my day. A landslide in the area between Sandy Beach and Hanauma Bay, closed the area, so no further checks were possible.

Team Billand called at 1103 with the report of Pohaku (RO28) at Electric Beach.
At 1136 the Billands found Benny (RE74) at Makaha.
At 1312 they reported Noa (R6FI) and R018, together at Maili.

Dana called at 1751 advising of a Hotline call reporting a possible Mom & Pup in the Jameson's area in Haleiwa. Volunteers Liz and Joanne are out checking the area at this writing. RI37 is a possibility, but I have no further info at this time. Check the blog in the morning for any updates. I was hoping for some type of official update before posting.... having said that, Liz being one of the volunteers that went out did speak to witnesses and for all purposes there is a mom and pup that entered the water. (not sure what it was, but apparently something spooked them).   SO GOOD PEOPLE ON THE NORTHSHORE:  KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN and SEE IF YOU CAN FIND THIS MOM AND PUP.  
U/U and Nani 
 Benny @ Makaha
 get your rest Benny boy.... I'm sure Kermit will be around soon
 RO28 @ Electric Beach!
 Noa @ Maili 
R018 @ Maili
 Noa and R018
 snoozing and soggy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I sure hope if it is I37, folks will leave her alone. She has had two births that the pups didnt survive. Please find that pup if indeed its I37's. But be careful, keep the distance, keep those gawking people away. Good luck finding them, be careful, prayers to all who are looking. Flippers crossed, that one of you find these treasured mammals, SAFE, nursing, and ok. Good luck to all!!!!

Dana Jones said...

Lots of people have been dispatched and are searching for RI37 and pup. We are hoping for the best. Search has been ongoing since 6:30AM today and up to about 9PM last night. Fishermen helped with their headlamps etc. Honu people helped in the effort to search before it became too dark, and several folks are headed out to Kaena areas to look. I truly am praying for a happy outcome and monk seal miracle.