Tuesday, March 20, 2012

3-19-2012 DB's Dailies: Kaiwi&Nani@RI, Irma@IR, Buster@SC, R018@Tracks, RO28@Electric Beach


On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 0938, I found Kaiwi (RK96) snoozin' on the water front rocks, left of Seal Rock Inlet.

On a pan at 0957 I realized that there had been a partially visible animal up in the grass, 60 ft left of Seal Rock Inlet, that I had not previously seen. It had been there all along. I was unable to get an ID at that time. After responding to 2 other calls, I got back to Makai Pier at 1224. The partially visible animal was now visible, and was lying right along side Kaiwi to the left of Seal Rock Inlet. It was Nani !! (RK60).Finally.... the two SE quadrant "Special K" girls had finally met. I've been wishin' and hopin' for this moment for quite a while. They spent the rest of the day together. I wish I'd seen first contact. There was no real interaction doing my observations, just snoozin'. It was as warm and fuzzy a day as one could hope for. 

While waiting for Irma to depart I did an RI check from MO at 1817. Kaiwi & Nani were awake and playing at the same location I'd seen them at all day. I made the mistake (as I often do) of relocating to the pier to get a better look. Naturally, I looked from that location they were gone. Tomorrow ??

I mentioned 2 calls above, the first began with a call from Dera, at 1026, reporting and animal at Sandy Beach, called in my Gary Sprinkle (of KITV fame). Since I'd gotten no lifeguard calls about an animal, and knowing that people think of Sandy Beach as running from Blowhole to the AD's estuaries, my first stop was at Irma's. Sure enough there I found Gary Sprinkle and Irma (R010), 300 yds east of the Kealahou light. I cordoned her off, and the Elves checked her. She has remained all day. I picked up the rope and left the signs, at 1930. Irma remains.
While I was working on Irma I got a call from Portlock posse person, Susan, reporting an animal at Spitting Cave, at 1047. When I arrived at 1124 I found Buster (RV08) doing 6 minute dives. His big, beautiful , left side N21 bleach was loud and clear.

Team Billand checked in at 0827 with the report of R018 at Tracks.
At 1351 the Billands found Pohaku (RO28) at Electric Beach.

Kaiwi back at Rabbit Island
 Kaiwi and Nani new BFFs 
 I bet Kaiwi is glad she took a left when leaving Kaiwi Kove
 Irma at Irma's wonder where she will pop this year?
 Seal calisthenics
 Buster's back at Spitting Cave
 R018 @ Tracks 
 This cracks me up seeing them belly up
 RO28 @ Electric Beach
 just floating along

No comments: