Monday, March 5, 2012

3-5-2012 DB Dailies:

It was a perfect Monk Seal day. Maybe not so great a day for short, fat , bald guys, or elves !

I was out there dark and early, and bless her soggy , little heart, posse member Gayle was out there too, checking Spitting Cave AND Kokee ! You are worth many times you weight in Manapua ! (since Gayle is so small, I'll throw in a few of my pounds to add to her value!)

Once I could actually see Rabbit Island I found today's cast to be Mojo (RI17), Kolohe (RW22), and Nani (RK60). That took seconds to type, but hours to gleen the info. I will spare you the RI photos from today. They are a total waste of pixels.

I spent the morning thinking that there were 4 dummies that I know of, out here in this mess (Gayle & I, and of course Team Billand) . That changed to 5 dummies when Hanauma Bay posse member Jack called to report nobody at Toilet Bowl . That was waaaaay above and beyond Jack. He wasn't done yet however. Just moments later he called at 1057, to advise that Lifeguards reported an animal in "the Keyhole" at Hanauma Bay , which at the left end of the beach, and essentially the area where Irma has done her most recent haul outs.
Another call from Jack at 1102 advised that the adoring hordes had decended o the animal at it was unable to haul out, and departed. I arrived at HB at 1128 and observed the bay below from the view point on top. At 1147 I observed an animal haul out to the far right end of the beach. I notified HB staff (Jack) and returned to my car to get the equipment. As I was beginning the hump down, Jack called to advise that the animal had reentered the water, so back I went to the over view. I remained until 1300, but never saw anybody. I returned to Makai Pier. Apparently beyond the Monk Seal Diehards, the adoring hordes felt the need to be out in the pouring rain.  I have to admit on these really rainy days I am always happy the seals get to be on the beaches without the crowds (or so I thought)

At 1459 HB posse member Martha called to advise that an animal had hauled out 200 yds right of the turn around at HB. When I arrived at 1512 I found Irma waiting for me. I cordoned her off, and returned at 1800 to pick up the stuff when HB closed. Irma remains. I am happy to report that her shark bite wounds are healing nicely.

Team Billand checked in at 0859 with the report of T15M fronting #1708 at White Plains. 
At 0940 they reported Kermit (R012) at Kermit's Reef, on the west side of the Nimitz Jetty.
At 1734 the Billands found R018 at Maili.
All their critters were still at those locations at the end of their long and productive day.

 Irma @ Hanauma Bay 
 everytime I see this I get the heebie geebies..... I know she is healing, but just the thought of how much damage this could have done to big momma.
 What people in their right mind were out at Hanauma Bay blocking a seal from hauling out... Geesh you would think a down pour and brown water warnings would give them a clue to stay away.
 Sharkbite hauling out to dry off
 finally able to relax
 wait a minute... i am still getting wet, maybe it's dry up here
ahh must be better behind that white picket fence 
 Look it's the finish line, and I'm still not dry.. 
 Kermit @ Kermit's reef during a down pour
 too bad I don't have little goggles
 Where's the sun?
 This SPZ means business!
 R018 @ Maili
 Doesn't seem to mind the rain at all. 

No comments: