Wednesday, March 14, 2012

3-13-12 DB Dailies and MORE!


I have a tale to tell. Bear with me. After my morning pass through the quadrant the only critters in my life were Kolohe (RW22) and Sadie (RB12) whom I found together at 0648, 40 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. I got back to Makai Pier at 0922 for R#2 of RI observations. At around 1000 or so Makai Ocean Engineering programmer McKay Davis, who's office is near mine came out on a break and since he is in to the RI cast, I turned the scope over to him for a bit, so he could check out Kolohe & Sadie. I took control of the scope after a bit and during that time Kolohe entered the water, and Nani (RK60) hauled out to 1BS. I gave the scope back to McKay so he could check out Nani. He asked where Kolohe was, and I advised him that he had entered the water, and that he would probably show up again at the right end of the beach. At 1016 McKay panned down to the right end and said " there he is.... he's got a transmitter...right ????" WHAT !!!... TRANSMITTER ???? move,move,move. I got to the scope and OMG.... She did it ! 
 She made it !!! SHE was, KAIWI (RK96)!!!!! It took her 7 months and 2 days to make the 3 mile trip, but today, was her first observed visit to Rabbit Island. She was on the water front rocks, 50 ft right of 3BS. She was visible for less than a minute because she quickly entered the water to join Kolohe, whose bobbing head was in the shallows fronting her location. I managed to keep them in sight for another 30 seconds or so before losing them. Kolohe would later show up at the left end, but no Kaiwi. At 1211 Kolohe swam back down to the Seal Rock Inlet area, hauling out and moving to the right behind the water front rocks. He seemed to have a goal in mind, and sure enough at 1218 it became apparent that there was another animal there. At 1219 that animal proved to be Kaiwi again. She and Kolohe moved up on to the water front rocks. and spent the afternoon together. It was a heck of a day !! 
This story has to make so many amazed as we watched this little one travel away from her birth place to the west.... and now she found the pot of gold at Rabbit Island where all her cousins and siblings hang out. It will be interesting to see how long she hangs out and if she returns.  Having said all that, I think what I enjoy even more about this story is just picturing DB's expression and being a proud papa! Yes DB the little girl went home.
At 0740 Team Billand called to report R018 at Tracks.
At 0752 they reported Pohaku (RO28) at Electric Beach.
The Billands reported Irma (R010 at White Plains.
At 0938 Team Billands found Kermit (R012), also at White Plains, but well down the beach from Irma, fronting #1708.

At 1002 Dana called with the report of "N6" , Right Spot (R016) at Shark's Cove.

The Billands called at 1150 to advise that posse member Clay Gates had reported Rocky (RH58) at Iroquois Point.
Also during that conversation Barbara advised that one of their contacts reported that a small animal with a transmitter had been seen on Friday (3-9-12) at Tracks. Our dollar is on Kekoa, but ????

In the Yesterday's News department, I recieved shots from Jean & Larry, from their Ka'ena Point trek yesterday (3-12-12). They found Kerby (RW08).

 Nani RK60 
 Kolohe and KAIWI !!!!
 Kerby who was once a Rabbit Island pup now lives at Ka'ena Point 
 and apparently feels very comfortable being there
 R018 @ Tracks 
 RO28 @ Electric Beach
 ah ha !  a broken tag
 Kermit R012/4DG N4  LOL!
 IRMA:  OMG my little girl is all grown up, she's on Rabbit Island
 Irma's close call with a big pair of choppers
 I need to see a dentist
 I spy big momma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading your story DB was priceless and so funny,I sat on my chair just laughing, imagining your excitement of A TRANSMITTERED ANIMAL ON R.I.!!

WHAT???? TRANSMITTER??? Holy crap!! Get out of my way, LET ME HAVE THE SCOPE!!! Wow, she done it she done it!!! Shes here!!! I felt the JOY!!

Nothing like a surprise, A GOOD SURPRISE..Kaiwi made it home. Like Donna said, she'll have family now to play with, to explore with. Wow, Monk seals are so incredible!!! And I guess we have to thank...KOLOHE, as he took her there, good job!!!

It's nice you (DB) had a friend to share this moment of joy with (McKay!)

I wish one day, Rob and I get to discover Kekoa Alii like that some where on our route, that would be HEAVEN man!!!!!!!!!!!