Tuesday, September 21, 2010

9/21/2010 DB Dailies

At 0629 I found Sadie up in the Morning Glory left of 1BS, on Rabbit Island, from the Makapuu Overview. When I got down to Makai Pier at 0655 I found that Kolohe was on the far left end of the beach, and Sam was tucked into the base of the cliff, 50 ft left of 1BS. All would move down and join up, 80 ft left of 1BS. Though the spent the day each 5 ft from the other, there was no observed interaction.

At 0706 I found Duke hiding up in the grass at the far right end of the beach. He would later move down and remained there the rest of the day.

At 0659, posse member Toni Russ called to say that she had animal near the 185A access in Ewa Beach. She put out signs and documented the animal. Her photos would later confirm that it was Rocky.

The Billands called at 0757 to say that they were watching Makaiwi foraging off shore of the Nimitz jetty. They lost her at 0810.

Team Billand's next call was at 0818. They had Benny partially hauling out, doing a few head bobs west of the Nimitz jetty, and then swimming off toward the west. The boy obviously put in some mileage overnight. He left me at Kaupo Beach Park at 1725 late yesterday, and 8 hrs later he's at Nimitz Beach. Amazing !! The Team got a call from Makaha at 1605 about and animal there. When they arrived there was nobody there, but the behavior decribed screams Benny.

Dera called at 0915 to say that Right Spot was at Rocky Point, on the North Shore.

Lesley called at 1150 to say that she was with Ua Malie on the Turtle Bay side of the point, and she has sent great Ua Malie shots.
Duke
Sam and Sadie
Rocky
Benny

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Just couldnt get a shot of Makaiwi who had been foraging by herself,when suddenly Benny appears. Makaiwi disapppeared, Benny was nuts, bobbing, looking for a chick,speeding by us in minutes, he made it to the Campbell Industrial area. We charged down, tried to get a head of him, but, we ran out of time, had another meeting in Hawaii Kai. I know he was coming, I know he was. Reluctantly we had to leave, and I bet, I bet, Benny and Makaiwi was just around the corner, right when we left the area. Bah!!! We were so close, I just know it. We didnt even have enough time to check out Rocky with TONI RUSS. SORRY TONI!!! Some times, we have too much things to do in ONE DAY. I want to do it all, and so, we made a choice, we left our critters..we did recheck all the areas in the afternoon till 6pm, Benny is TOO FAST for us old guys. Benny..I love em...he keeps us thinking, he keeps us on our toes. Where theres Benny, theres DRAMA...alll the time. I was looking forward in seeing Makaiwi hauling up to shore. We never had the honor of seeing that yet, since we met her. She is always on shore by the time we find her. One day, we will see that kid, coming on shore, one day. Oh I love this job...it is FUN, hot work, but being with these creatures is magic!!!!

Barbara said...

DB, isnt wonderful all the children are home again, TOGETHER!!! Oh so nice having family there to observe, in harmony on R.I. Life is sooo good!
Aint it super amazing how Benny moves around, incredibly FAST, FAR in one day? I wonder what kind of vitamins he takes for so much energy...so much indurance and drive. I think of all seals, Benny is the fastest and most smartest of seals. And he is only 8 years old...who was his MAMA???? Who was his DADDY???? Hmm, I wonder???? And I always love how the seals sleep on the morning glory..they use that like a soft bed...so cute. Oh Hawaiian Monk seals, they really are special creatures, arent we alll lucky we got em here in Hawaii????