Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/19/2010 DB Dailies

After two days of having Irma and Benny in my life, it was a much more mellow day today. The entire SE quadrant cast consisted of Buster at the left end of Rabbit Island, and Duke at the right end.

Irma and Benny were just as big a pain in the okolele as ever, but today it was all lookin' and no findin' !

Just when I thought the day was over, I got two calls from posse members, plus one call from Dera all back to back starting at 1629. All reported one animal hauling out near the pump station at Kaupo Beach Park. When I arrived 1640 I found no critter, but lots of witnesses. As is often the case the animal arrived at the pump house end of the beach, but the hordes lined the water line and it could not haul out. The animal began swimming toward the pier end of the beach in the shallows, but of course the mob followed, and once again it could not haul out at the pier end of the beach, and swam out. There is not one single iota of doubt in my mind that it was Benny, and that Irma had probably given him the slip and he was rechecking the last spots where they had been together. Naturally, that is impossible to prove, but my Monachus gene is tickin' away. After the hunt I did a last check of Rabbit Island and noted that Duke was still there, however, Buster was gone. I can't rule out this U/U being Buster, but I doubt it.

Team Billand checked in at 0740 with the report of Kermit fronting #1813 at Nimitz Beach.

They responded to Campbell Industrial Park for a Dera call, and found Makaiwi there at Palm Grove, at 0841.

The Billands called to say that they were heading to Turtle Bay to see if they could ID the stable animal. I heard from them at 1515, and they said they could not ID the animal , however it is a female. I am awaiting photos.

They also checked on Ua Malie who they found on the Turtle Bay side of the point.

Dera called at 1238 to advise that there was an animal at "Backyards" , Sunset Beach. She said Todd White and Lesley were on the scene. I am awaiting photos. I just checked Todd White's blog www.northshoremonks.blogspot.com and his shots confirm that it is Right Spot. Though her right spot was not visible, her N6 bleach was clearly readable. Hopefully, Lesley will be sending photos.

The Kenyon Expedition did the Ka'ena Point trek today, and sent photos of their finds, Ka'ena, Kerby and T15M, at the end of the world.
Kermit
Maka'iwi

No comments: