Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9/14/2010 DB Dailies

It was a very special beginning to the day. At around 0800, Posse member Steve, at HURL (Hawaii Undersea Research Lab) (da' Sub guys) called to report that there were two seals swimming under the pier. Terry and the whole gang were out there hanging over the edge of the pier when I arrived at 0815. I could hear them growling and playing under the Sub building. Colin the Good, Colin the Great, Colin the Magnificent, Colin the father of Sadie (the two legged version)....... He made me do all of that , except for Sadie, so I could have his killer shots of the duo. Once they got out from under the pier I got a couple myself. They remained in the pier area until I lost them at 0920. They had gradually begun drifting in a Waimanalo direction, and were angling out to deeper water. Despite, two checks of the Waimanalo Beaches today, I did not see them again. Of course, I was also hoping to see them on Rabbit Island but as of the end of day, I had not seen them. 

Thank You from the bottom of my little, bald heart to the whole HURL mob. You are all worth your weights in Manapuu, except Colin who is, of course, worth Twice his weight. (again, he made me do it ! )
And all the whos in blogville thank you too!
It's hard to imagine two cuter critters than Makaiwi and Sam. I had the thought that I was looking at the "Donnie & Marie" of the pinniped world. (Whippersnappers, can google Donnie & Marie)

When I finally got a chance to look at Rabbit Island, at 0943, I found Duke at the right end of the beach. He would be the only Rabbit Island resident today.

Team Billand would check in at 0800 to report Kermit at Nimitz Beach, fronting #1813.

At 1123 they found Irma & Benny a Hau Bush, Ewa Beach.

Rocky was the next Billand call. Doing one of her afternoon haul outs, at IRQ, at 1500.

Dana checked in at 1500 to say that Ua Malie was on the TB side of the point, and that Lona was at Rocky Point today.

On my 1730 RI recheck , Duke was still the sole resident, and I saw neither hide nor hair of the youngins' either at RI or in the Pier area.

Duke you should be playing with the other kids.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow, Makaiwi and Duke??? Thats sensational, its like the west meets the east. Really awesome shots guys. How cute they are together, playing like kids do. Oh I wish we witnessed that. No wonder we cant find Makaiwi any more...she is with SAM. And no wondere you cant find Sam..he has found a new friend to explore. I hope they land on R.I. tomorrow morning at 6:30am sharp. Better there than the Waimanalo area. Lets allll think....R.I. R.I. R.I. come on SAM, show Makaiwi where your roots are!!! I wonder if Sam would follow Makaiwi westward...Oh, Oh.

Donna said...

I know Barb aren't they incrediable they went to see Papa let him know they all having fun playing in the surf....

Be careful what you wish for... you may end up with a couple weaner Sam at white plains... lol!