Thursday, December 6, 2018

12/6/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Finally, after several weeks team Tammy & Dave and I managed to hike out to the point together.
I checked the front beaches before meeting them in the parking lot and on my way I found R330 “Squinty” @ Birth Beach / Tables. Light, sand and the position he was in, was going to make it hard for IDing. Then I remembered his NB on the bottom side of his RRF. And there it was shinning bright up at me.

We had great weather on our hike, the swells were still rolling in big and every now and then a bigger set would wash the shore line.
Dave spotted the first whale. We only saw blows today, but it made it worthwhile.
At the point RW02 “PVKauai” was our only seal. There were several trails and poops on the Back Beach, so he probably had company earlier.

The albatrosses are already nesting but we didn’t see any eggs.
Most of the Shearwater chicks have left but we were able to see some butts and a beautiful young guy peeping out of a Naupaka bush.   More tomorrow.



No comments: